How much new snowfall in the Sangre de Cristos?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountaindude
14ers: 57  1  4 
Trip Reports (5)

How much new snowfall in the Sangre de Cristos?

Post by mountaindude »

Had Mt. Lindsey and/or Humbolt Peak planned for Saturday morning. Wondering how the forest roads to trailheads are. Weather forecast is predicting new snowfall, but does anyone have an idea how much it actually snowed above Westcliff or Gardner (Thurs/Fri)?
RamanDestroyer
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How much new snowfall in the Sangre de Cristos?

Post by RamanDestroyer »

Attempted Lindsey today: Lots of snow above 12K, post-holed all damn day long. Some spots were as deep as 6 feet but most was about 2-3 after 12K. Bring your snowshoes/skis and gumption as more was falling as we left.

Also, the TH road is in fair condition. We had to remove six downed trees and build a "ramp" over one we couldn't move. If you have a good clearance 4WD and decent tires you should be able to get over the ice that covers the last mile of the road.

Good luck!
ralph
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ralph »

Hey RamanDestroyer, thanks for the info….how did the Avi danger look today and which route were you doing? Did you not have a 4WD. We are also thinking about Sat and doing the North Face route depending on the conditions.

Ralph
RamanDestroyer
14ers: 26  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RamanDestroyer »

Not much for avi danger, I felt safe the entire time. The only sketch part is the "pass" you have to head up through before you swing around to the real approach around treeline. That being said, that pass sucks. The snow is super deep and we had a miserable time trudging through it.

We hadn't decided on what route to take but by the time we got close to where we would make the choice for the N face or the Ridge we had to turn back as the storm was getting real gnarly and my traveling companion got a nasty dose of altitude sickness. We started at 5AM and by 9:30 it was clear we wouldn't be able to summit and get back in time.

Also, bring GPS as the trail is mostly invisible due to snow. Without gps in the early hours of the hike we'd have gotten seriously lost. If our trail is still visible it will get you to the top but we didn't always stick to the 14ers trail so there may be a little more distance added.

As for cars, we both have 4WD (Xterra and a 4Runner). The road is easy until the last 1 mile where it is mostly ice and some sharp turns with steep grades that took some navigating. Definitely do not try this without 4wd right now. There are plenty of places to stop and park near the TH though; if you come across a part that is too mucho for your vehicle just park and add another mile or two on to the hike. Oh there is a puddle that is covered in ice about a mile from the TH as well, it is about 6-8 inches deep so make sure you jam through it or you'll be a sad panda.

One last thing, unless you have a lifted vehicle that one tree we couldn't move will scuff up your undercarriage. I mashed up my skidplate and frame trying to go balls deep over it. Bring a chainsaw or some big dudes so you dont have to go over it like we did.

Hope this helps and I hope you stay safe!
mountaindude
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mountaindude »

Thanks for that info Raman. I'm still wondering how much snow has fallen since you drove back down from the trailhead. Anybody know how much more snow the area received yesterday and last night?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

From the South Colony SNOTEL site data:
SColonySnotel.jpg
SColonySnotel.jpg (91.57 KiB) Viewed 979 times

From the Ute Creek (S of Colony Lakes and closer to Lindsey) SNOTEL site data:
UteCreekSnotel.jpg
UteCreekSnotel.jpg (87.47 KiB) Viewed 979 times
ralph
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ralph »

I just spoke with the road dept in Gardner….they are now sending a snow plow up to Singing Ranch and it's been snowing hard he said. From the info they are getting, snow all day and night. Beyond Singing Ranch to the TRHD will probably have at least 12 inches of new snow if not more he said. With all that new wet snow could cause some Avi danger on Lindsey. We are not going tomorrow and just wait another day for better conditions.

Ralph
mountaindude
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mountaindude »

Thanks for that info Ralph. Think we will postpone Lindsey as well.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Tons more snow last night on the crestones (6" at 8400'). Not sure about on the blanca group.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

jdorje wrote:Tons more snow last night on the crestones (6" at 8400'). Not sure about on the blanca group.
Blanca group got obliterated. Saw first hand.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

Snowing in Westcliffe since last night--significant accumulation.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

It might be the November version of Snowmageddon.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."