Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Hungry Jack »

Anyone here recommend any session beers? I am basically allergic to alcohol (makes my skin itch) but can handle small amounts fine. I especially like lagers and stouts.
please rotate your device
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Pumpkin beers are hit and miss for me. Always wonder if I actually like them or just like the idea of them for the season but not actually like them. This year I saw this and am pleasantly pleased as my daughter's "thumbs up" signifies:
IMG_20130921_210231_661-1.jpg
IMG_20130921_210231_661-1.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

I was up in the Denver area last week and got to sit down with my dad over burgers and a pitcher of New Belgium 1554. Stuff is solid. Reminded me of Great Divide Claymore, but a little smoother.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

I recently had all of my favorites together, so I thought I'd update my favorite beer list with a picture.
Attachments
IMG_3024_1.jpg
IMG_3024_1.jpg (124.79 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

A couple of recent favorites if we're showing our arsenals. The big gun is the one on the left. :mrgreen:
beer.jpg
beer.jpg (305.15 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SpringsHiker
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

moneymike wrote:I recently had all of my favorites together, so I thought I'd update my favorite beer list with a picture.
THAT is a solid line-up of quality beers. Personally, I would not touch the two on the right, but that's just a personal thing; all the others all sit right at the top of my list.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Johnson wrote:Pumpkin beers are hit and miss for me.

+1 on Dogfish Punkin ale....I too am skeptical of pumpkin beers, but theirs is good. Probably one of the better beers dogfish head makes.

The IPA in the pictures below (90 and 120min) are not good. I do not care for the whole, who can stuff more hops into a single batch then the next "craft" brewer, revolution. A child could brew beer that tasted OK with that much hops in it, no skill required.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Dakota007 wrote:The IPA in the pictures below (90 and 120min) are not good.
I respectfully disagree. Are there better? Sure. But the 120 is quite good, and packs 15-20 ABV as well. You don't like hop bombs, don't drink them.

Dogfish Head brewery is a fine brewery and I'll continue to enjoy their fare.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

highpilgrim wrote:
Are there better? Sure. But the 120 is quite good, and packs 15-20 ABV as well. You don't like hop bombs, don't drink them.

The impression I got when I did the tour in Delaware was that it was them just so proud of the conveyor belt system they developed to continually feed the the mash with hops. \:D/

You are right, everyone has an opinion. Mine is that a high ABV doesn't necessarily translate into good tasting BEER, just one that probably will give you a hangover.

I am also not opposed to hops, all beer uses them. I just think the amount that is necessary is overplayed by a lot of these craft brewers. If you are ever in Ridgway CO, stop by the Colorado Boy Brewery and try his IPA. I think it is as good as it gets in the IPA world. Smooth, strong hop smell, very little bitter taste. Just my preference. You are right highpilgrim, they do sell a ton of that 90 and 120 stuff, so people love it.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

Dakota007 wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
Are there better? Sure. But the 120 is quite good, and packs 15-20 ABV as well. You don't like hop bombs, don't drink them.

The impression I got when I did the tour in Delaware was that it was them just so proud of the conveyor belt system they developed to continually feed the the mash with hops. \:D/

You are right, everyone has an opinion. Mine is that a high ABV doesn't necessarily translate into good tasting BEER, just one that probably will give you a hangover.

I am also not opposed to hops, all beer uses them. I just think the amount that is necessary is overplayed by a lot of these craft brewers. If you are ever in Ridgway CO, stop by the Colorado Boy Brewery and try his IPA. I think it is as good as it gets in the IPA world. Smooth, strong hop smell, very little bitter taste. Just my preference. You are right highpilgrim, they do sell a ton of that 90 and 120 stuff, so people love it.
I think you just don't love hops the way some people (like me) love hops. I'm not a fan of malty beers. I used to be, but my flavor preference has grown toward very hoppy beers. That said, I won't ever say that a heavy malted beer is a bad beer. In fact, I've been known to say on many occasions "this is a great beer, but I don't like it." I will concede that I've gotten a lot of very strange looks from bartenders for this.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Dakota007 wrote: If you are ever in Ridgway CO, stop by the Colorado Boy Brewery and try his IPA. I think it is as good as it gets in the IPA world.
I get through there quite a bit. I'll make sure I do just that next time I'm there.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Blvd Sold Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by TallGrass »

Kansas City’s Boulevard Brewing is sold to Belgian firm :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Not long ago the scrappy brewery bragged it was Missouri’s largest,
after beer giant Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis was sold to InBev,
another Belgian company.
"
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."