Goat Encounters - Chicago Basin

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rockchalker
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (25)

Goat Encounters - Chicago Basin

Post by rockchalker »

If you have been to Chicago Basin, you will understand that the below might be a much more dangerous move than any you would encounter while summitting Sunlight, Windom or Elous.
Chicago Basin Goat.JPG
Chicago Basin Goat.JPG (66.14 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving."
oldkingog
14ers: 49 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Goat Encounters - Chicago Basin

Post by oldkingog »

Hilarious! My friend and I encountered about 30 goats while we were in the area about 10 years ago. You're looking particularly vulnerable there...
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

They definitely enjoy "drinking straight from the fountain"
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

...just as long as they keep to licking the ground AFTER and not trying to go for the source!!!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

The worst is when you walk away from camp and a group of 10 or so follow you with that look in their eyes. It can be a bit nerve wracking.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Yet another use for the FUDD!

Thankfully I didn't have any encounters when I was there last. Have to remember the FUDD when I go back to ski them.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

mountain-goats-close-stare.jpg
mountain-goats-close-stare.jpg (159.3 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Yes, I know that look. When we were in CB this summer they blew through our campsite at night and one hit my tent, nearly knocking it down with me in it! :shock:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

painless4u2 wrote:
mountain-goats-close-stare.jpg
Yes, I know that look.
Here's the human analog to the look being given by the above goats:

DrewR
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by DrewR »

I had a similar experience on Pyramid last month. It's obvious what they are thinking.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

MonGoose wrote:The worst is when you walk away from camp and a group of 10 or so follow you with that look in their eyes. It can be a bit nerve wracking.
And when you have to stay in camp alone, and they surround your camp and stomp aggressively for you to leave!
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

It seems to me they have just one facial expression that apparently covers their entire range of emotions, whatever those might be. They used to say the same thing about Clint Eastwood.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks...I needed a laugh - these goat pics were perfect.