Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Darin, Tom, Britt:

I don't think Steve got Mt. Ouray either, we made plans for it but it didn't work out (I don't know for sure, but as of early February he didn't have it).

Side note, when he told me about starting the project with Dallas (solo)...I was like "WHAT?" his response was: "Well, I knew if couldn't get up Dallas, then I couldn't climb them all!" I wish he had done a trip report on that one, from the bits he told me it was riveting.
Shawn
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Removed by author
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

britt,

steve did have a winter list, i kept it. i just got the heads up about this question and am headed to class. i´ll fill in the blanks later(today?)

jamie
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

shanahan96 wrote:britt,

steve did have a winter list, i kept it. i just got the heads up about this question and am headed to class. i´ll fill in the blanks later(today?)

jamie
Thanks Jamie.

Hey, I still have a locking biner and red sling of yours. Will you be there tomorrow?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

shanahan96 wrote:britt,

jamie
Yes, aware of this, we can discuss later Steve's comments on that project. Interested in Darrin's idea.
-Tom
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

He received his masters degree from Kansas State University.
Wow, Steve was a fellow K-State alum. I wish that I had had the chance to talk to him last December in Golden.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

Does anyone know when Steve got his winter ascent of Eolus? I remember reading his awesome report on Chicago basin from March 2010 where he got all but Eolus, but I don't know when he went back for it. I guess he may not have written a report, too bad as any winter climb in there is an amazing accomplishment.

Very impressive that he got within ten peaks of the winter centennial list.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Steve Knapp wrote:Does anyone know when Steve got his winter ascent of Eolus? I remember reading his awesome report on Chicago basin from March 2010 where he got all but Eolus, but I don't know when he went back for it. I guess he may not have written a report, too bad as any winter climb in there is an amazing accomplishment.

Very impressive that he got within ten peaks of the winter centennial list.
Knapp, I think it might have been in January of 2011 or February. He climbed the E couloir to make the ascent. He also climbed Jupiter on that trip.
He had thought about writing a report for it, using fictitious characters (based on real people, to include Middlebrook but I can't remember who the others were going to be based on, but quite possibly his brother Bill), but alas he never got around to it.

I'm coming up with a list of a probable 10 cents' that he didn't get to.

I think 2011 was the same year he did Dallas solo, on the last weekend of calendar winter. 20hrs or something I think! Same weekend that Ken got Teakettle I believe.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

d_baker wrote: I think 2011 was the same year he did Dallas solo, on the last weekend of calendar winter. 20hrs or something I think! Same weekend that Ken got Teakettle I believe.
He did Dallas in the days leading up to the last weekend. We were all in Horn Fork Basin for the winter gathering that Kiefer organized on the last weekend. He arrived on Saturday for the Columbia climb on Sunday.

I heard he did it solo but never asked for any details. Kiefer or Steph would know more.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

apologies for my tardiness on the thread, thanks for the heads up mindy.

surprisingly steve "only" had 86/100 centennials, i'm constantly convincing myself the real number is 89 or 90. yes, steve's 86 is the current record ahead of the legendary ken nolan's 84. his remaining list is:

tenmile/mosquito(the shockers!)
atlantic
pacific
dyer

sawatch
lackawanna
grizzly

elks
cathedral
hagerman

san juans
rio grande pyramid
jones
teakettle
vestal
jagged
gladstone
vermillion

**steve was never sure if he summited some of the "easier" peaks so he decided not to count any summit he wasn't 100% sure was completed in calendar winter.**

the list is accurate as of february 2013. we never got a chance to chat after his march winter ending trip. man that blows.... if he summited something during that trip, please let me know and i'll update the list.

jim- i live in santiago, chile and won't be back in the states until november 15th. feel free to use them, or give them to matt. he'll get them to me. your call, i'm good with whatever. please pass my condolences along to nona and the girls.

tom- drop me a line when you feel like it. i'm always available, facebook and e-mail(jamie.princo@gmail.com) are the easiest ways to communicate with me down here. my U.S. phone will be back on nov 15/16. drop me a line when i return.

knapp- steve's summit of eolus was january 29, 2011, and that afternoon he broke a trench to treeline on jupiter. the next day he nabbed jupiter and hiked out. he decided to take a "shortcut" to 550 instead of waiting for the train and ended up wallowing through the night, uphill, to reach a road. that ended up being in a gated community and one of ladies there was none to pleased to have him hiking thru her neighborhood. she called security, the whole nine yards. some people....

kevin- dallas was a solo effort on march 11, 2011, and 20 hrs give or take sounds correct. it took him 3-4 hrs to get from the 13,700' notch to the summit, interesting snow conditions. :-D classic "gladbachin' it".

jamie

steve- i miss you. i love you man. i cried when i heard you passed, i couldn't believe it. this isn't supposed to happen to someone like you, not to an outstanding individual with a great attitude. i'll see you on the flip side.
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had to read this again. It's comical, ridiculous, and inspiring. Gonna miss these...
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
AlabamaTLC
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AlabamaTLC »

For those that could not make to his Celebration of Life service...
Attachments
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 1 (800x586).jpg
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 1 (800x586).jpg (215.93 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 2 (800x586).jpg
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 2 (800x586).jpg (268.92 KiB) Viewed 4707 times