Columbia Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krussell
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia Conditions

Post by krussell »

Has anyone been up Columbia recently? Due to the lack of snow, I'm contemplating an attempt this weekend, December 8th or 9th, 2012. Thanks!
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Columbia Conditions

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

I drove by yesterday around sunset and it appears the only snow is on the normal couloirs on the eastern side near french gulch. It is extremely thin, just a small thread of snow here and there. Birthday Peak behind Columbia and Harvard looked to have a bit more cover, and I expect the closer you get to the divide the deeper it will be. I think you could probably drive to the th and hike most of the way, if not all of the way, in regular shoes.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

A shot of Columbia from West Buffalo Peak this past Sunday, 12/2:
Attachments
Columbia-Harvard 12-2-12.jpg
Columbia-Harvard 12-2-12.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 305 times
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
krussell
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by krussell »

Thank you guys so much for both the description and the photo!