Class 3+ close to Fort Collins

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Class 3+ close to Fort Collins

Post by ChrisinAZ »

It's pretty short, but Goat Hill in LaPorte is the lowest ranked peak in Larimer County, and a nice way to spend two hours! It's a walk-up from the east, but that's all private property; come in from Watson Lk and fish hatchery on the west side, and you have a bit of scrambling culminating in a 15' low-5th section. I did this one during a warm spell in February, it's a good peak for a day you can't really get out of town...

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=6602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Great suggestions, Dave!

By the way, I'll be up Buckhorn and Poudre Cyns on Saturday hitting some quad points if yer interested.
Nothing harder than class 2 but A LOT of bushwhacking. Ugh! #-o
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

ChrisinAZ wrote:It's pretty short, but Goat Hill in LaPorte is the lowest ranked peak in Larimer County, and a nice way to spend two hours! It's a walk-up from the east, but that's all private property; come in from Watson Lk and fish hatchery on the west side, and you have a bit of scrambling culminating in a 15' low-5th section. I did this one during a warm spell in February, it's a good peak for a day you can't really get out of town...

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=6602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loved Goat Hill, though I soaked my foot in the Poudre within sight of the car on the way back #-o
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

As some of the bigger peaks go, the Ida-Chief Cheley-Cracktop and beyond is a good one. Havent been past Cracktop myself, but I've heard the traverse to Julian is the best part.

'South Sister' has some extra boulder hopping if E&W Twin Sisters isn't enough.

As Dave mentioned, Needles and Gem Peak have some good parts to them. You can add in Lumpy Ridge HP between the two for a good day.

Pretty much any ranked peak near Red Feathers has summit boulders to make things interesting.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!