Buffalo Mtn. or Tenmile Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ryanmicj
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Buffalo Mtn. or Tenmile Peak?

Post by ryanmicj »

My sister and I are attempting our first 14er next week and want to get in some acclimating climbs first. Since we will be crashing at a friends place in Silverthorne, we'd like to stay local. I've been interested in climbing Royal/Peak 1/Tenmile since I first drove past them on I-70 several years ago, but Buffalo Mtn. seems like a popular choice as well.

I had been leaning towards Tenmile, but I'm a bit worried about route finding above treeline, and Buffalo Mtn. has the added benefit of having a trailhead on Ryan Gulch Road, a name I'm liking (see my username...). Still, I've been looking at Tenmile every time I come out to ski and saying I'm going to climb it.

So which one would be your choice? Or would you go with something else entirely?

Thanks!
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Buffalo Mtn. or Tenmile Peak?

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Route finding on Tenmile Peak is cake.

Just start at the Mt Royal TH (note the parking lot adjacent I-70 at the more western Frisco exit does not put you at the start of the trail, you have to walk south a little down the bike path). Theres a split in the trail perhaps half way up, take the left fork. From here the path becomes a little less beaten and a lot more steep (hence the reason people seem to turn around there). Once you get to Victoria and pass the abandoned mine, the route becomes super obvious as you can see the summit. Word to the wise, Royal is not a kind trail, it goes up hard, I loved it.

Haven't done Buffalo but have been around it. Gores are wicked. You got a tough choice.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

ryanmicj wrote:Still, I've been looking at Tenmile every time I come out to ski and saying I'm going to climb it.

So which one would be your choice? Or would you go with something else entirely?

Thanks!
For you I would say Tenmile. When you look as something and say to yourself "I want to get on top of that", that is the heart and soul of mountaineering.
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnum420 »

Peak 1, and Tenmile are both pretty hefty acclimation hikes but I'm not sure the difficulty you are looking for so I'll leave that up to you. I've hiked several 14ers that I thought were easier than Peak1/Tenmile. I believe Tenmile is about 10+miles round trip with 5000ft elevation gain with a resummit of Peak1 on the way back. You shouldnt have much route finding problems with any of them, the trails can be broken at times above treeline but the routes are all pretty obvious.

If I had to pick, I'd choose Royal/Victoria or Buffalo for my acclimation hikes. With Royal/Victoria you have the option of continueing to peak1/tenmile if you are feeling ok. Buffalo Cabins Trail has a fairly easy warm up mile and half or so to the base of the mountain, then its up up up to the summit. Still not an easy hike at 3200ft elevation gain, but to me it never feels like that much when I hike it. I think you gain about 2000-2500ft in the last mile or so, steep but class 1 or easy class 2 all the way.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
ryanmicj
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ryanmicj »

I think rickinko is right - Tenmile its going to be. If we are burned up before we get to Tenmile Peak, we can always just say that Peak 1 was our goal all along!

kimism72, we're not getting out there until Friday, and will be in Apsen on Saturday, so we were aiming for Sunday (Aug. 19). If that works for you let me know - we'd love to have a local along for some route finding help as well as friendly company!

Thanks for all the info - I feel a bit more confident about finding our way now!