The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by James Dziezynski »

wildlobo71 wrote:...and with that fresh can of gasoline provided by Kat, we begin Part V of the saga...
Too bad he couldn't mobilize a rescue effort with that much tenacity.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Navigaiter wrote:
We all know carrying a 120 pound German Sheppard is not easy for anyone, especially while injured but I know he did ALL that he could at that particular moment
Carrying my 120 lb companion of ten years in order to save her life would be the easiest thing in the world for me. My legs would break under the strain before I gave up. It would be even easier with a hiking partner helping. You're forgetting something very important here: the amount of responsibility we may be faced with might not be what we originally planned on, but when the life of an innocent falls prey to our choices, our level of responsibility and our actions after the situation changes are what truly define our character. Think about that, and then think about Anthony's character...or lack thereof.
Lets also remember he had a kid with him that he got out safely.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Did I see the guy's boss posting a few pages back? Something about sending him on a business trip the next day.

A responsible dog owner would've called in sick and been out looking for their dog. Family > Work.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

screeman57 wrote:
hootchiesmom wrote:Hoping we can bring this back to Missy, how the vet visit went, if the owner was confirmed via the rabies tag, and most importantly how Missy is doing today! Also would love to hear more about the rescue, Missy's reaction to being found etc...
I guess the answer is "no."
But I want to feel important and that my judgments of this stranger are completely valid!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

wildlobo71 wrote:
shadykat5150 wrote:This is Anthony's sister. I have known him his entire life. He has never blown anything off, given up, found that he couldn't be bothered. I am standing up for him right now as the person who knows him better than anyone else who has posted on this RIDICULOUS thread. GIVE HI DOG BACK TO HIM. I have read about this situation being a 'hoax', about how judgement has been passed, even before knowing the circumstances, about people who think they are better or would have 'done the right thing' and people who just want to FIX a horrible situation. The latter is the only thing that matters!!! Tony has had that dog for a very long time. He rescued her from a bad situation. She chewed up his house. She peed on his floors. She was a 'bitch' to train. But she is a great dog now! And spoiled! So many other people would have passed her on after the first hole in a shoe or ripped up book or pile of poo on the floor. This is an EXTREME situation. People do not always think clearly when they are GRIEF STRICKEN!!! Perhaps you head hunters would be more satisfied if he had KILLED himself over this! If you have doubts about his character or need to hear from his family, YOU CALL ME!!! He is beside himself with guilt and confusion. His heart is both broken and elated. He just wants his baby back. Everyone likes to think that they would make the best decisions when faced with traumatic situations and tragedy, but the TRUTH is that we are ALL HUMAN. We don't always fail. But we don't always succeed. WE ALL DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE!!! My phone is ON. I'm waiting to hear from you. 575-308-2019.

Kat
...and with that fresh can of gasoline provided by Kat, we begin Part V of the saga...
Yep, classic. wow.
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

All I know is I got two girls' phone numbers today!
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

leggaj5 wrote:All I know is I got two girls' phone numbers today!
You sir...are the winner of the internets today.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

oldschoolczar wrote:Did I see the guy's boss posting a few pages back? Something about sending him on a business trip the next day.

A responsible dog owner would've called in sick and been out looking for their dog. Family > Work.
I'd personally like to hear more about the business trip, iirc the boss made it seem urgent and absolutely necessary that he go. Might sway some folks one way or another.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

shadykat5150, I. I. Wow. I. I'm speechless. Very bad move.
ATK
14ers: 8 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATK »

leggaj5 wrote:All I know is I got two girls' phone numbers today!
http://i.imgur.com/N2FEP.gif
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Forgive me if I seem extremely harsh here but I find the claims that Anthony is a responsible dog lover to be dubious. Missy was at 100 pounds yesterday when we carried her off the mountain after losing 10% of her body weight spending eight days laying alone in a talus field ~ 12,500 feet with him taking virtually no action to save, by his own admission he left her there to die. At the time he took her up the Sawtooth Missy was possibly 20 to 30 pounds overweight, experience with over 10 years in Dog Rescue and caring for 100+ dogs tells me Missy should ideally weigh around 80 pounds. Missy's nails were a bit on the long side and given her highly damaged pads she obviously was not used to walking the given terrain. To me he didn't have his dog's health in mind by letting her get fat, didn't have his dog's health and well being in mind when he decided to take her on a 3rd class route she obviously wasn't in condition to do, and finally didn't have his dog's welfare in mind when he left her there to die.

Talking to Alpine Rescue after we got back one of the members told me of an incident they were involved in at Herman Lake. Alpine Rescue was called to evacuate a St. Bernard from the lake after it had broken it's spine and the owner refused to leave the area for days to stay with his hurt dog. Staying by your injured dog and giving it what comfort and care you can is responsible ownership.

Years ago while mountain biking with one of our dogs I went over the handle bars and shattered my wrist. Despite being in pain one of my first actions was to put my dog an leash so she would be safe on the 6 mile walk back to the car. Keeping your dog's welfare in mind despite other concerns is responsible ownership.

Plenty of responders to this forum have commented on being prepared when hiking with your dog by carrying booties, pain meds, (aspirin), water, and any other needs your animal may have, good advice and responsible dog ownership. We put booties on Missy when we got to her and given that despite still having bleeding pads she was trotting down half the mountain without too much difficulty. Even after eight days starving in an alpine environment all she needed was a little help and care in getting her off the mountain. Had she been carried down to Abyss Lake, given some aspirin and dog booties I believe she could have gotten out via Scott Gomer and Burning Bear rather than being left to die.

We actually discussed evacuating Missy via Scott Gomer but discounted believing she was in worse condition that she really was. We took her out of the backpack because she was squirming and wanted her to stretch a little after being cramped for several hours. We were quite pleasantly surprised to see how well she got around on her own. I've had plenty of occasions where one of my own dogs got relief from a cut pad with just some pain med and a bootie, I'm fairly certain that eight days ago Missy could have gotten out with just a little bit of care, yet you carried her down a little bit and then left her to die.

The spot we found Missy was several hundred feet below the crossover on the Sawtooth, 1000 ft below the summit of Bierstadt, a spot that wasn't terribly likely to experience a lighting strike, sure, possible but likely. Having two people one of you could have easily stayed with Missy while the other went for help, sure, burning bear was 8 miles from where you were but a little walk is better than leaving your dog to die alone on a mountain side.

It was mentioned that some hunters gave you directions, did you consider asking them for help in getting Missy down?

Even in the event that I couldn't carry out one of my own dogs (unlikely because I have always considered being forced to prior to any trip) I would have attempted to enlist family, friends, acquaintances, hired help, whatever it took to get my dog back home. I would never have left my beloved friend and companion to die alone on a cold hillside. That eight total strangers were more willing than you to hike a short 4 miles in crappy weather to rescue a dog we didn't even know speaks volumes to me about your lack of commitment to care for Missy.

Given that you didn't take Missy's welfare in mind before taking her into the mountains, weren't willing to stay with her during her ordeal, didn't go back to provide her some comfort or attempt to get her out yourself (blisters, give me a freaking break), and apparently didn't do much of anything to save your dog prior to yesterday leaves me to say the following: You'll get Missy back when you pry her out of my cold dead hands!

BTW, I don't have her and do not know where she is at the moment.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Truly amazing and inspirational story. I hope that if I ever come across a similar situation, I'll have the courage, resilience, and fortitude that Wash, his wife, and all the rescuers (Sat night, Sun morning, and Monday) embodied. Hope to see a Missy Rescue Happy Hour some day to thank all of you involved in this rescue in person. You all deserve much praise . . . big ups! \:D/

For those expressing anger toward Anthony, I'd suggest taking a second look from his perspective and keep on open mind toward forgiveness. I'm thinking the stress, shock, grief, etc., impaired his judgment in the days following his abandonment, not the blisters. It seems he's taking the rights steps to acknowledge his mistakes, ask forgiveness, and accept consequences. Personally, I can forgive Anthony and believe there is a reasonable process to re-unite him with Missy - community service, education/outreach, compensation to the rescue team, etc. His experience can be a learning opportunity for others that consider taking their companions (people or dogs) into difficult terrain.