The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by thetoddman »

speth wrote:
aortolani14 wrote:Missy was hurt during an attempt at crossing the Sawtooth.

The next couple of days was absolutely horrible wondering about her, if she was alive, or if she died. Thinking about her suffering was awful beyond words.

Many confidants comforted me by saying that she was probably gone from injury.

All I can say is that I am relieved that she is okay, I am ashamed that it was not me that started this thread, I am ashamed that it wasn't me who got her off of the mountain, I underestimated the good will and resolve of the hiking community of Colorado, and I am eternally grateful to all of you and to 9news.
What day did you climb Bierstadt?
I'll answer that - it was SUNDAY, AUGUST 5th!!!
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

What day did you climb Bierstadt?[/quote]

Sunday the 5th. We submitted around 10ish and everything fell appart around noon in the sawtooth.

She doesn't have tags because she is always with me. She doesn't run away or anything like that. It was not deliberate.
I know that people are mad, and I get it. In fact I appreciate it. I am learning so much from all of this. Just knowing that there are so many people that are willing to do something like this is a huge eye opener. I can't bring you all there to when I made that choice and what was going through my head. My kids, my friends son, a lot. I do know that I do want my Missy Girl back. I also know that there are many people that think I don't deserve her back. I can tell you that she would be very happy to see me. I have learned a lot and I am convicted to never let this happen again. Missy is getting another chance, I am asking the same.
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

aortolani14, I wish I could show more character or reserve or dignity or compassion or whatever it is that should be showed at a moment like this, but I just can't. All I can say is, you left Missy on that mountain, and now she deserves to live with someone who cared enough to rescue her. 7 days she laid there bleeding, hurt, alone, tired, hungry and thirsty.

Her old life ended when the people she counted on the most left her, and her new life begins with one of the rescuers, or anyone who won't abandon her, for that matter.

I'm glad you get some closure in knowing she's alive and healthy.

I will say it took a healthy amount of guts to come out at all. It's going to get much uglier on here before it gets better.

The amount of restraint it takes to not say more is epic.
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

Navigaiter wrote:aortolani14, I wish I could show more character or reserve or dignity or compassion or whatever it is that should be showed at a moment like this, but I just can't. All I can say is, you left Missy on that mountain, and now she deserves to live with someone who cared enough to rescue her. 7 days she laid there bleeding, hurt, alone, tired, hungry and thirsty.

Her old life ended when the people she counted on the most left her, and her new life begins with one of the rescuers, or anyone who won't abandon her, for that matter.

I will say it took a healthy amount of guts to come out at all. It's going to get much uglier on here before it gets better.

+1

I have to add (and stress) that there were TWO humans there, not just you. And I think that is relevant to what YOU did (or did NOT do). You could have remained with your injured best friend and responsisbility while the other human went down and reported the situation.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Great job to the rescuers, hooray for a great ending!

aortolani14: Very big of you to step forward and own up to the situation. Forgiveness is a very necessary ingredient for life. I'll be the first. While you certainly had a day or two of regrettable inaction after your hike, I'm now impressed with your humbleness, remorse, and apparent willingness to hike smarter (at least get some dog booties!). The hallmark of true remorse is to change, it seems you want to do that. I've done shameful things in my life and always appreciated when I was extended forgiveness and that there could be restoration. Happy hiking.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
evepin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by evepin »

aortolani14 wrote:I am sitting here refreshing the screen over and over waiting for people to wake. I am very certain that I have quite the s**t storm coming. But I have to take the good with the bad, with something this good there is a lot of bad I suppose. They can say what ever they want, I will read and learn from every single word. It was my arrogance that put Missy in that situation. I don't ever want to do anything that could possibly risk her life again. I can't wait to hike with her again, but I will never put her in danger again.
Not only does this group love to hike, it also loves their dogs....no better place to live than Colorado! But several very brave people risked their own lives to bring your dog down safely, even attempting a rescue in the dead of night off the sawtooth. It will probably take time before you find forgiveness here, for putting your dog at risk in the first place, and then leaving her to starve or freeze to death in those harsh conditions. It's hard NOT to think about what she went through for the past seven days - abandoned, injured, bleeding, hungry - and your words alone may not be enough to justify getting your Missy back. Glad you and your other human friend made it down safely, but would you have done the same thing if Missy were another human hiking friend? If I went hiking with you and was injured, would you leave me up there too? Your explaination is plausible, but your decisions from beginning to end were bad - hopefully the experience will be a lesson to you and others who carelessly put their own dogs' lives in danger just for your own adventure.
MattK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MattK »

Navigaiter wrote:aortolani14, I wish I could show more character or reserve or dignity or compassion or whatever it is that should be showed at a moment like this, but I just can't. All I can say is, you left Missy on that mountain, and now she deserves to live with someone who cared enough to rescue her. 7 days she laid there bleeding, hurt, alone, tired, hungry and thirsty.

Well said and completely agree. I am floored that a person, who supposedly loved their dog so dearly, wouldn't go back the next day with a shelter, food and water and, albeit slowly, work the dog out. I am glad the pup is okay due to some amazing people, and hopefully there are lessons to be learned for all dog owners in this fiasco.

-Research your route well and don't get in over your head. Just like yourself, build your dogs experience up.
-Be prepared and know of plans/practice for extracting your dog.
-First-Aid Kit: Add doggie specific stuff. Talk to your vet.
-Booties, booties, booties: Even if for just emergencies, but make sure your dog is used to wearing them before hiking.
-Mentally prepare yourself to do whatever it takes to get them out. I'd spend days extracting my dog if that's what it takes. I am the one putting her in the situation, I am the one to get her out.
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

Joe Simpson forgave Simon Yates. Just sayin'. Bad decisions and bad luck compound and soon you find yourself doing things you didn't think you would have done and can't understand why you did later when you look back on them.

Always figured my hundredth post would be used to advocate the metric system. Advocating forgiveness is just as good I suppose. Glad Missy, the owners, and the rescuers are all safe.
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

Robzilla wrote:Joe Simpson forgave Simon Yates. Just sayin'. Bad decisions and bad luck compound and soon you find yourself doing things you didn't think you would have done and can't understand why you did later when you look back on them.

Always figured my hundredth post would be used to advocate the metric system. Advocating forgiveness is just as good I suppose. Glad Missy, the owners, and the rescuers are all safe.
Simon Yates had every reason to believe Simpson was dead. And he waited for hours in horrendous conditions before making his horrible decision. I would have forgiven him too. If I was Simpson, why would I think Yates wouldn't have counted me for dead?

aortolani14 walked away from a living, breathing, innocent animal and didn't go back.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Dogs will follow their humans to their death, that's the kind of loyalty a dog has. What an example to live by.
They form lifelong bonds with their humans.
Her life is in your hands.
Man's best friend. No truer statement.

It is INCOMPREHENSIBLE and IMHO, unforgiveable that you did not post signs at the trailheads (Guanella Pass and Mt Evans - I looked for signs yesterday personally), you did not go look for her, you did not go to her side when she was hurt to provide food and water so she could survive until you could get help to get her out.
You did not try to get her out yourself.
You are clearly not her best friend. You do not have her best interests at heart.

You did nothing.

Strangers took compassion on her helpless state and did what it took to get her out of the mess you put her in.

You show up after everybody did for you what you should have done over 1 week ago.

I cannot see putting this dog back in your care.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

Is anyone else having a tough time understanding this? I understand why you would need to leave the mountain without your dog that day, to save yourself. But there is just one fact to this whole story that I just can't wrap my finger around. As a dog lover myself, who has hiked many 14ers with my dog, I just can't figure this out: Why in the world were you not up there, the next morning looking for your dog!? I CAN understand the panic in that suituation, and how rational thought might be affected that day. But that just does not explain why you did not go back for your dog. It took a group of amazing people, who had never met or loved your dog, to put their own well-being at risk to save your dog. That just does not sound right to me, at all. The thought of one of them not getting to keep the dog after this whole situation, does break my heart a little bit....

But most of all, I am just happy the dog is okay now!

My two cents...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

aortolani14 wrote:What day did you climb Bierstadt?
Sunday the 5th. We submitted around 10ish and everything fell appart around noon in the sawtooth.

She doesn't have tags because she is always with me. She doesn't run away or anything like that. It was not deliberate.
I know that people are mad, and I get it. In fact I appreciate it. I am learning so much from all of this. Just knowing that there are so many people that are willing to do something like this is a huge eye opener. I can't bring you all there to when I made that choice and what was going through my head. My kids, my friends son, a lot. I do know that I do want my Missy Girl back. I also know that there are many people that think I don't deserve her back. I can tell you that she would be very happy to see me. I have learned a lot and I am convicted to never let this happen again. Missy is getting another chance, I am asking the same.[/quote]

You left here there for 9 days without trying to go back for her? I pray like hell you dont get her back, who knows what you are capable of. Taking a dog on the Sawtooth and leaving it there borders on animal cruelty but to not even go back to try and get her? What a piece of crap.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.