Hitching a Ride on Pikes Peak

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cotrlrunner
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Hitching a Ride on Pikes Peak

Post by cotrlrunner »

I am doing Pikes Peak tomorrow and I am curious as to how tough it is to hitch a ride down. I've never heard of anyone not getting a ride.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Hitching a Ride on Pikes Peak

Post by jsdratm »

I've never tried it, but I would personally be more likely to pick up a hitchhiker on Pikes Peak than some dirty vagrant on the side of the interstate. :D
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Aren't you a trail runner? What's wrong with running down?
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
jeffCC
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffCC »

Sounds like people do it regularly, but it would sure suck to have no way down. It is officially prohibited by the toll road folks. Even walking along the road can get you a ticket. But I imagine that in the parking area a runner/hiker might seem quite the curiosity to a flatlander returning to their car. Could be easier to strike up a conversation there first.
cotrlrunner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cotrlrunner »

Yeah, stupid question. I've never heard anyone not being able to get down. I'm sure there will be people up there doing 3-2-1's or some other training for the Ascent / Marathon.
lafutura
14ers: 21  6 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lafutura »

i did a winter ascent of pikes and started heading back down as cars were leaving the lot at the end of the day. during the brief periods of time we intersected with the road (and a car), we were offered rides by anyone we encountered, but turned them all down as it's not the same if you only go up but down as well...

besides, i'm sure the guy in the restaurant selling hot dogs (with an emt shirt on, ironically) can always come to your rescue. :)
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I had done it once. Caught a ride down with a bunch of frat-boys from Pennsylvania, was a fun ride down to say the least...
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

cotrlrunner wrote:I am doing Pikes Peak tomorrow and I am curious as to how tough it is to hitch a ride down. I've never heard of anyone not getting a ride.
It's not that difficult. Approach any of the employees working in the Summit House, and have them make an announcement over the PA system that you are wanting a ride down. More than one person will usually always be willing to take you down.
cotrlrunner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cotrlrunner »

I will start practicing my hitchhiker thumb. :D
jeffCC
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffCC »

hey jacqlyn,

Saturday was an "interesting" day around here.

Did you climb PP? Make it down?
alpenglow
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpenglow »

I made a sign saying "Hiked 13+ miles up, need a ride down". My hubby and I got a ride within 5 minutes in the bed of a pickup truck from a family from Texas who had just moved their mustangs to a new ranch in C.S. I asked about the PA announcement and was told that legally they could not do that due to liability issues. I then was asked for my sign from some other hikers who also needed a lift. It was great because I am all about recycle/reuse.
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

of course, there's nothing wrong with hauling a bike (road or mtb) up on your back and then coast/fly down...