So, you wanna climb Denali? Here's a taste...

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SugarBear
Trip Reports (0)

So, you wanna climb Denali? Here's a taste...

Post by SugarBear »

A killer edit job on a a trip last May. Not much footage from 17 camp and up but some good footage of what it's like.
Haul, dig, eat, sleep, repeat. We got lucky w/ weather, by AK standards...so thankfully, not much sitting. And yes, we summited June 2.
Credit to my teammate and talented dude http://www.brandonriza.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m44oKoly ... 7sl7OVtrxk
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: So, you wanna climb Denali? Here's a taste...

Post by Monster5 »

Cool vid. Congrats on the summit.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Egogo
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Egogo »

Congrats on summit. Thanks for sharing this vid.
Your dude must be a photographer.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Nice Vid. Glad you guys made it up and down safely. That mountain can either let you pass or raise the bridge. Special place for sure.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Tagging this for easy finding later in the day. Looks good from a quick glance! Congrats!
SugarBear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SugarBear »

RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice Vid. Glad you guys made it up and down safely. That mountain can either let you pass or raise the bridge. Special place for sure.

Thanks Caleb. love your photos too. I followed the Wildsnow boys Denali trip--your shots and TR's were invaluable.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Cool video! I summited a week after you did last year, and the video brought back many vivid memories. Well done, and thanks for posting.
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

i
SugarBear wrote:
Thanks Caleb. love your photos too. I followed the Wildsnow boys Denali trip--your shots and TR's were invaluable.
Your video brought back some nice memories. I suspect that many don't understand why there wasn't much footage above 17k camp (the most visually appealing part of the trip), however as for someone that likes to pull his camera out before his water bottle, I certainly get it. Denali can be a harsh place. When we were up there in 2002, 17k and above wasn't even a possibility for a camera, at least if you like having all your fingers, and camera, and gloves, and.....

I appreciate the compliments. And again congrats. When you going back? Trust me you will do it or think about it a great deal.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SugarBear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SugarBear »

RoanMtnMan wrote:i
SugarBear wrote:
Your video brought back some nice memories. I suspect that many don't understand why there wasn't much footage above 17k camp (the most visually appealing part of the trip), however as for someone that likes to pull his camera out before his water bottle, I certainly get it. Denali can be a harsh place. When we were up there in 2002, 17k and above wasn't even a possibility for a camera, at least if you like having all your fingers, and camera, and gloves, and.....

I appreciate the compliments. And again congrats. When you going back? Trust me you will do it or think about it a great deal.
Yep, 17 is not a fun place. Especially considering the Autobahn had taken 2 lives 2 days before we went up. Half my team knew one of the deceased. Huge mental drain, but forged our team when we decided to push on in sketchy/icy conditions.
Summit day weather for us was borderline all day long--never been so aware the weather...you can sense the power and it's ability to get real nasty, real quick.

And yes, I was set to go back to the Ruth May 25th but Brandon blew his knee. AK gets into your blood, no doubt about it.

See you at 5Point Film Fest in Carbondale?
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

SugarBear wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:i
SugarBear wrote:
And yes, I was set to go back to the Ruth May 25th but Brandon blew his knee. AK gets into your blood, no doubt about it.

See you at 5Point Film Fest in Carbondale?
Jordan went back up to AK yesterday. 3 weeks of climbing and skiing. I guess it is in his blood for sure. I have some other lame commitments or I'd be up there too.

I will be at the Sat night 7-10pm program at the festival. One of the highlights of each spring for me.

d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

SugarBear wrote: See you at 5Point Film Fest in Carbondale?
I realize you weren't talking to me, but Kevin Baker and I will be there too. I think his cousin is in one of the films on the tour.
The next day, we plan to do a peak or two in the Bells area, W aspects. Any conditions beta for us for those in the area?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com