St. Marys Glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
csmcgranahan
14ers: 40 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

St. Marys Glacier

Post by csmcgranahan »

A friend and I were thinking about heading up to St. Marys Glacier tomorrow to practice for a summer trip to Mt. Rainier. What kind of crowds can I expect and is it an appropriate area for my 3 and 6 year old sons to tag along and sled or just have a snowball fight?

Thanks!
csmcgranahan
Trip Reports (0)

Re: St. Marys Glacier

Post by csmcgranahan »

Looking for any last minute info.....
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

St. Marys is a great place for kids, it's a 3/4 mile hike from the parking lot to the lake/glacier. As long as you stay away from the steep slopes around the lake, there's lots of sledding opportunities on and around the glacier. As of 5 days ago the lake was partially melted and there was lots of new snow from the recent storm. I'm sure some of it has melted by now, but there'll be enough to sled/have a snowball fight. Since tomorrow is Saturday with a good weather forecast, I'm guessing there'll be a decent amount of people to be up there, but if you go up there earlier in the day there might be less people. There's also a 5$ fee to park, unless you park way down the road and walk.
csmcgranahan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csmcgranahan »

Thanks!
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

When are you doing rainier? I need to head up there to practice as well at some point for my July 5-9 trip to climb Rainier
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
csmcgranahan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csmcgranahan »

My buddy and I will likely be on the peak from July 2-5 and plan to do the Emmons Glacier Route - just before you.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

wow that is sweet! We are either doing the Emmons or DC...yet to be decided
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
keith_stone
14ers: 11  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by keith_stone »

Anyone know the status of Jams Pk via St. Marys glacier? Snow wise?