Cascades - Mid-October - need advice

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Cascades - Mid-October - need advice

Post by ash-ish »

I will be in Portland, OR from Oct 14-16. I am planning to get in a snow climb. I have listed the options below in the order of preference. I am familiar with mountain axe and crampons, but not very familiar with glacier travel skills. Please let me know if here is anything I need to look for especially around mid-October.

1. Mt. Adams – South side standard snow route.
2. Mt. Hood – South slopes/hogsback standard route.
3. Middle Sister - Collier/Hayden/Irving/Renfrew glacier.
4. Mt. Rainier – up to Camp Muir only.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Cascades - Mid-October - need advice

Post by Dave B »

It's not a snow climb except for the summit cone, but South Sister is an awesome climb with pretty amazing views. Hood would probably be pretty ugly that time of year without too much snow.

Just be advised, the winter turns south in the PNW about late September so plan to have a plus/minus day or two to accommodate potential early season storms.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I'm a W. Washington native and can tell you that the rainy season starts October 1st...and exactly that same day every year. Be prepared for rain below 2000 feet and snow above that for most of the time.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Make sure to check snow conditions. I've heard horror stories of folks trying to summit Hood late in the season from bad rock/ice.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth