4th of July Success

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

4th of July Success

Post by crossfitter »

I just want to give a shout to for everyone who came out to our shindig this weekend on Huron or who were lucky enough to stumble across it. For those of you who missed out, keep your eyes peeled next year as we might be dropping subtle hints on the forum again e.g. the Ice mountain conditions thread.

In the spirit of Doggler's epic finish (TR from last year: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include) we decided it was time for a repeat showing. Since no one we knew of was going to finish on Huron, we decided the 4th of July would be an excellent reason to celebrate instead. To up the ante, we made this a fundraiser and I picked up a keg of Avery Ellie's Brown Ale before heading up the Winfield this weekend. We suggested a $10 donation to cover the costs of beer, with all proceeds going to rocky mountain rescue. Thanks to everyone's generosity and enthusiasm, we managed to raise $115 for RMR after covering the cost of the keg. I would go on to describe this event in more detail, but Surf'N'Turf has managed to capture it in a way I could only dream of: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10268

I will leave you with a few pictures to motivate you to read his TR, however.

The team that made it happen. From left to right, Top row: Bergsteigen, Kansas, Native_mntguy, "Fabio", Doggler, KeithK, Surf'N'Turf. Front row: Megan, Moonstalker, Crossfitter, Kelli, Chris, Sean, Mary, Trainer Keri, Vicki

The prize

Kansas after a couple of high altitude brews.

The infamous technical Jorts

$115 for RMR...or whatever is left after I spend it at Vegas. Kidding.
Last edited by crossfitter on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: 4th of July Success

Post by Brian C »

Nice!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I just want to give a shout to for everyone who came out to our shindig this weekend on Huron or who were lucky enough to stumble across it. For those of you who missed out, keep your eyes peeled next year as we might be dropping subtle hints on the forum again e.g. the Ice mountain conditions thread.
I enjoyed his TR and it looks like you all had a great time.
Carrying a keg up the mountain is pretty bad ass and dwarfs me and my 50lb training pack.

Question:
If fund raising was the goal (?), why not do more than place "subtle hints" into threads and pepper the forum with obvious inside-joke comments?
Including everyone would seem more effective and more inclusive.
Comments like the above send mixed, conflicting messages.
More people = more money raised = more people having a good time.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Matt wrote:
I enjoyed his TR and it looks like you all had a great time.
Carrying a keg up the mountain is pretty bad ass and dwarfs me and my 50lb training pack.

Question:
If fund raising was the goal (?), why not do more than place "subtle hints" into threads and pepper the forum with obvious inside-joke comments?
Including everyone would seem more effective and more inclusive.
Comments like the above send mixed, conflicting messages.
More people = more money raised = more people having a good time.
We thought about placing an all out advertisement but we wanted to have a little bit of control over the event. Given the recent tragedies, many of which occurred in nearby Sawatch mountains, we felt it was prudent to keep the event under control and make sure that everyone stayed safe. Also, we were worried the turnout would be too high and we would run out of beer! We relied on word of mouth/friend-of-a-friend publicity to get a solid turnout without completely opening the floodgates. This wasn't meant as a slight to anyone or to be a clique-y event.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Aha. So this was what the whole "Winfield" post on doggler's Facebook was about. Looks like you had fun, but no robots, hot dogs, or speedos this time? :lol:
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

Over 70 people were directly invited to this... if you extend that by figuring in the "friend of a friend" factor, that's potentially well over 100 possible attendees. To post something here on this forum, you're talking about over a thousand possible attendees. That trailhead only accomodates about 15 vehicles! While I completely agree that greater exposure = greater potential for donations, it would simply be illogical and problematic, unless we had at least 3 or 4 cyborgs willing to carry kegs on their backs. There is also the issue of having such a large "organized" event; the past few gatherings have sprawled to the point of pushing the limits of practicality, and to use 14ers.com for such at this point begins to put Bill into an undesirable place, in my opinion. Did anyone notice that Channel 7 used his photo from the Missouri route description in their story about the missing father and daughter? This site is simply too well known by now, and we don't want to create potential legal risks, especially where there is alcohol involved.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!