Forum rules
This forum is read-only
billyg0atgruff
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billyg0atgruff »

Kimber Ultra Ten II

Polymer handle (the bullets are heavy enough)
Stainless frame and slide

She's a beauty isn't she.
ryanclimbs
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ryanclimbs »

Nice Kimber!! I leave my Wilson Combat Custom .45 at home and take the cheap Smith instead.

Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Alan Ellis »

billyg0atgruff wrote:Kimber Ultra Ten II

Polymer handle (the bullets are heavy enough)
Stainless frame and slide
Nice!

I've carried when the wife is with me on backpacking trips. I used to carry a .32 Baretta Tomcat but decided it was too small (the wife now carries it in her purse). Now I have a Kahr Arms PM40 (.40 cal) which is the smallest .40 cal on the market. Fits very nice in an Eagle Creek waist pack. My Christmas present this year is a Glock 36 which is a single-stacked .45 cal. Single-stacking a .45 makes it very thin for concealment.

And yes, I normally carry a gun 24/7. But, I'm a LEO so what do you expect?

PM40:

Glock 36:
Sack up and climb.
billyg0atgruff
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billyg0atgruff »

Alan Ellis wrote:But, I'm a LEO so what do you expect?
Funny I'm a Leo also! :lol:
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

Glock 23 .40 cal here. Don't carry climbing though, although I've considered it for solo night trail runs, in light of the dozen or so recent lion sightings within a mile of my house. So far I just run with some pepper spray and a healthy dose of paranoia, constantly looking over my shoulder.

Geof3
14ers: 23  5  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Geof3 »

Wow... got some issue with GUNS??? Why did you capitalise IE: YELL this everytime you wrote GUNS???

I carry if my family is with me, either my Taurus 9mm, or my snub .38 special. I also carry a hunting knife at all times.

Pika's are the tough ones to hit... mean little suckers... :lol:
Blue Steel
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Did you guys and gals ever watch the movie "Red Dawn" with Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen...when the Russians and Cubans invaded Colorado? The communist invasion could happen at any moment on one of my hikes/runs. Screw the big kitties and teddy bears, ever confronted a Russian para-trooper? YIKES! I carry a rocket propelled grenade launcher, Ak-47 (to blend in with the Red commie bastards), and a letter jacket to protect me from the cold Colorado winter.

WOLVERINES!

http://www.lostinthepast.net/motion/RedDawn/rd044.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn[/img]
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
summitrunner
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlw49 »

Summitrunner

Just watched "Red Dawn" a couple of days ago. In light of Iraq, it gave me kind of an odd feeling watching military vehicles getting blown up by RPG's, and explosions in restaurants. I don't think I enjoyed the movie like I did when it first came out. Just an observation on my part, not an indictment on anything you said.
mildly neurotic
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mildly neurotic »

Best movie ever: Death Wish 3. No, there aren't any helicopters or paratroopers, just Charles Bronson kicking some a$$ in 1970's NYC. Also a special appearance by Charles' friend "Wildey" :wink:
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

I'm not sure what height and weight have to do with anything, but since that was the question ... I'm just under 6' and at about 175lbs. Again, not sure what that has to do with anything at all.

Where I carry it varies, I don't have a CCW so it's usually on my hip, but once I get above timberline I usually put it on the outside of my backpack so my pants don't fall down to my ankles every time I have to take a leak :wink:

.40 Glock 27 here with a 9 round hollow-tip mag ... carry a spare mag as well. Hell, it stays in my car most of the time, besides the trillion of reasons I choose to carry it, I'd rather have it with me than have someone break into my car while I'm hiking and steal it!!

Piece of mind is priceless, especially when hiking solo in the dark forest. Plus, I need to watch out for that damn blair witch. Hell, I'll probably bring it with me to the Viesturs signing tomorrow too -- can't be too careful on Colfax!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Cornfed97
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cornfed97 »

wow. didn't know so many of us were packin' on the trails. Nice Kimber btw. i will always carry two things just in case of a rabid mountain lion/bear/talus monkey.

1) a fixed blade knife in an easily accessible location (in case a sneaky lion jumps on my back). and 2) a hand gun, preferably my .357 ( i would argue that while a .45 is a much larger bullet, I dont know how it would affect a bear. .45 does not have the penetration and massive velocity of a .357, but each to their own). the gun btw, is in case i encounter a rabid talus monkey or other similar creatures. and yes, I am LEO also. packin' heat in CO. thanks to HR 218.

Will I ever need to use these items while hiking? Probably not. Would I kick myself in the arse three times if I needed them and didn't bring them? definitely.