Backpacking advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Nprice MD
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking advice

Post by Nprice MD »

Hey Guys,

Next summer my Aunt and I are planning on coming to colorado for about 2 weeks for some backpacking. We've both never been before so I figured I would come here to ask you guys where the best places are. We're looking to backpack for about 6-7 days and then spend the rest of the time driving around, doing some dayhikes or 2-3 day hikes so that we can see as much as possible. We would like to do at least 2 14ers in our two weeks so if theres any place that has some in close proximity(that aren't technically difficult like class 4 or anything) that would be great. Ever since going to my brothers lacrosse tournament in Vail two years ago, I've been dying to visit Colorado again and want to make sure I use my time well. Any help would be great.
-Noah
wreave
14ers: 11 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Backpacking advice

Post by wreave »

Lost Creek Wilderness is a great place for either the 6-7 day or the 2-3 day trip. It's not terribly convenient to any 14ers, though.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Noah,

I have yet to do anything in the LCW, but I hear it's nice and I'm sure you'd be able to find a trip that suits your desires. If you want to hike a couple 14ers out here, I'd suggest doing them during your second week out here. Give yourselves some time to adjust to the altitude. Grays/Torreys, Bierstadt, Sherman and Quandary are good beginner 14ers (and unfortunately comprise the bulk of my experience :cry: ). Have fun!
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Jeff in Oregon
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff in Oregon »

The two best backpacking trips i've done are:

Elk range traverse. Usually done in 4 to 5 days. Snowmass is basically on the route. Castle is in the area.

Chicago Basin. You can go in and out in a day if you take the train, which is very cool, especially for non-locals.
If you back-pack in, it's muti-day, depending on side trips. In Chicago Basin, Windom is easy, and has fine views. Eolus and Sunlight are not easy,
but surely have fine views.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

I will suggest the area west of Lake City, plenty of good backpacking trails and your choice of several 14ers, the most difficult would be Wetterhorn.

Handies, Red Cloud, Sunshine, Uncompahgre
robby40
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robby40 »

i agree with dsunwall. the lake city area and peaks he listed.
Nprice MD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nprice MD »

Thanks everybody
mtman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtman »

Take a look at the Colorado Trail. Sections of it pass right by Elbert and a couple of other 14ers for easy access, and the trail is well marked for the most part and has easy access points for drop-off and pick-up.

Enjoy! 8)
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Agree with dsunwall, if you are coming out for 2 weeks of exploration and have a choice, the San Juans are where I'd go. The Lake City area has lots of great hikes, and some easier 14ers to start with. Also you'll leave the crowds behind that one finds on the front range and Sawatch Peaks. You can also do an approach to Chicago Basin up Vallecito Creek, would make for a nice multiday backpack, and you'll see far less people than Chicago Basin(haven't done the route, but many others have said this and it looked nice from the peaks).

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
telehead
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by telehead »

2 weeks! Nice

You could always do the Quadruple By Pass Hike in Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness (Do a google for 4 Pass Loop). You could take 5 days and peak bag Snowmass while you're at it. Thats what we did and it was a blast! 5-6 days would be perfect for that hike. This hike is a classic and you'll love it.

Then you can take a few days and hit Aspen before or after the hike.

So, conceivably, you could do the following on the way to Aspen.

Bag Elbert and La Plata for a couple days. The head over Independence Pass to Aspen and then check out the town. Do your 4 Pass Loop for 5-6 days and then come out. That would eat up 2 weeks real quick.
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

I'd suggest trying the Sangres. Backpack up from South Colony Lakes and explore the area (extremely beautiful). There's 4 14ers that would be easily accesible if you have multiple days. Humboldt would be an easy warmup and getting Crestone Peak and or the Needle would be an accomplishment to be proud of. I've also heard that the 13ers farther North of that area would be good for backpacking and less crowded too.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

telehead wrote:You could always do the Quadruple By Pass Hike in Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness (Do a google for 4 Pass Loop). You could take 5 days and peak bag Snowmass while you're at it. Thats what we did and it was a blast! 5-6 days would be perfect for that hike. This hike is a classic and you'll love it.
Good call, don't know why I didn't mention that above, seeing that I've done the loop the last two years. Great trip, especially if you are there in late July/early Aug for peak wildflowers. Some photos of that route here.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs