Login problems

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BcmWay
Trip Reports (0)

Login problems

Post by BcmWay »

Anyone else having trouble with their logins today?

This is daway8 posting under a (hopefully) temporary account until I figure out why I can no longer access my regular account (couldn’t even access this new one on my home pc)

Other than a couple wisecracks in the iguana thread (I have no involvement whatsoever with whoever got that whole thing going) I can’t think of why I would have gotten the boot.

I Sent Bill a PM but no idea how often he checks those so posting this in hopes he’ll spot it…
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Login problems

Post by d_baker »

BcmWay wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:54 pm Anyone else having trouble with their logins today?

This is daway8 posting under a (hopefully) temporary account until I figure out why I can no longer access my regular account (couldn’t even access this new one on my home pc)

Other than a couple wisecracks in the iguana thread (I have no involvement whatsoever with whoever got that whole thing going) I can’t think of why I would have gotten the boot.

I Sent Bill a PM but no idea how often he checks those so posting this in hopes he’ll spot it…
Is this really daway or Capt trying to sneak back in? Oh wait, i think he already has a new handle.

No problems here with my login.
BcmWay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BcmWay »

d_baker wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 pm
BcmWay wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:54 pm Anyone else having trouble with their logins today?

Is this really daway or Capt trying to sneak back in? Oh wait, i think he already has a new handle.

No problems here with my login.
Nope, I’m the real daway8 (David) - not Alec.

I Pm’ed Bill my phone and email in case he needs to verify my identity. Used my work phone to create this account…
BcmWay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BcmWay »

FYI, I normally leave my phone logged into 14ers.com all the time. Today when I went to access the site I found that I had been logged out. I tried to log back in but couldn’t.

So then I tried to reset my password - the reset link worked but the first time I tried to login with the new password it wouldn’t let me. Tried a second time and it worked (99.9% certain I typed it exactly the same both times).

But shortly later I found I was logged out again. Couldn’t get back in at all at that point. Tried resetting my password again - this time from my home pc instead of my phone. Again the reset link worked but then it wouldn’t let me login.

Maybe I simply tripped a logins per day limit or something?

Anyway, my nerdy rambling detail hopefully helps confirm my identity to anyone who knows me…

Another user texted me and reported logging out then not being able to log back in on the first try but able (with the exact same data) to login on the second try…

Seems like something odd going on. Wonder if others have gotten locked out and don’t have another access means handy?

In the meantime it’s interesting exploring the functionally differences between how this site works on my corporate iPhone vs my own Android phone…

Bill - help please!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I noticed a new glitch starting a few days ago.

I open the site and it asks for user name, which I click and then the password, which is also remembered, so I don't have to do anything.

4 days ago the site rejected my password. Asked for another try, and on the second sending of the exact same info, BINGO, I am in.

Russian hackers? Oh I rue the day when a "go fund me" page is opened to pay the ransom to unlock 14ers.com
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"social justice" = injustice
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:06 pm I noticed a new glitch starting a few days ago.

I open the site and it asks for user name, which I click and then the password, which is also remembered, so I don't have to do anything.

4 days ago the site rejected my password. Asked for another try, and on the second sending of the exact same info, BINGO, I am in.

Russian hackers? Oh I rue the day when a "go fund me" page is opened to pay the ransom to unlock 14ers.com
I think this may be a glitch related to the updated forum release that Bill was integrating into the site last week. The homepage login does not work, it redirects you to the forum login page so it appears you are logging in twice with it working the second time.
BcmWay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BcmWay »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 pm
Wentzl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:06 pm I noticed a new glitch starting a few days ago.

I think this may be a glitch related to the updated forum release that Bill was integrating into the site last week. The homepage login does not work, it redirects you to the forum login page so it appears you are logging in twice with it working the second time.
That happened to me on my own phone with my regular login but it doesn’t work for either at this point.

The first time it happened I just hit the back button and tried again from the homepage and it worked on that second attempt but at some point after that I got kicked out again and now I seem to be totally blocked out except this account I did with my corporate ID & phone.

Well since it seems some others are having at least some of the same issues - hopefully Bill can get to the bottom of this by putting all this input together…
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 pm I think this may be a glitch related to the updated forum release that Bill was integrating into the site last week. The homepage login does not work, it redirects you to the forum login page so it appears you are logging in twice with it working the second time.
Yessir, that’s it. phpBB changed some login procedures that bent the integration process. I’ll take a look this afternoon.

Right now I’m on the summit of Yale. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BcmWay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BcmWay »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:48 am
HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 pm I think this may be a glitch related to the updated forum release that Bill was integrating into the site last week. The homepage login does not work, it redirects you to the forum login page so it appears you are logging in twice with it working the second time.
Yessir, that’s it. phpBB changed some login procedures that bent the integration process. I’ll take a look this afternoon.

Right now I’m on the summit of Yale. :)
So this new account got logged out and had the issue described above - initial login failed but 2nd forum login worked.

But my main account still seems locked out - saw Bill’s pm that I wasn’t locked out by him so hopefully once he’s back in town he can do some sort of reset or such…

In the meantime I found a clunky way to get gpx files through this phone/account and transfer them to my regular phone so I’m ready for some weekend adventures but would sure like to get my normal account rolling again…
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I'm back! I'm taking a look at the stupid "double" login thingy when signing in through the non-forum page. If I have to make major changes, I'll do it tomorrow morning.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Woohoo, I'm back as me!

Still having to do the weird double login thing but at least I can get in now - thanks Bill!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

daway8 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm Woohoo, I'm back as me!

Still having to do the weird double login thing but at least I can get in now - thanks Bill!
Great!

Yeah, the double thing is for everyone. I should be able to fix it tomorrow.