Elevation profile and gain for line draw

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Elevation profile and gain for line draw

Post by daway8 »

Seems like I used to be able to use the line draw feature on the map and get not only mileage but also the approximate elevation gain and an elevation profile of the route drawn.

Now it no longer seems to report gain or show the elevation profile. Those show up for tracks saved in TR's but not for one drawn.

Also imported tracks show the elevation profile but don't report the overall gain.

The overall gain for a drawn or imported route makes an incredibly handy quick reference - any chance of re-enabling this feature? Or is this a weird bug with my pc? (but my mobile has the same issue too...)
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Elevation profile and gain for line draw

Post by daway8 »

Anyone else having an issue with this?

What's the best alternative for quickly getting overall elevation stats from a drawn or imported line/track?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

daway8 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:18 pm Anyone else having an issue with this?

What's the best alternative for quickly getting overall elevation stats from a drawn or imported line/track?
Caltopo 8)
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

daway8 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:18 pm Anyone else having an issue with this?

I noticed several months ago. Mentioned it to Bill, he is aware of issue and said hed be working on it.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I thought I fixed that. I blame covid

I’ll take a look
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Ah, so when I first looked at this issue last year, I determined that Google elevation-lookups were very limited so I spent a few weeks implementing my own elevation lookup service as part of the new GPX Library system. After finishing the GPX project, I forgot to go back to the 14ers.com Map Drawing area and make the necessary changes to calculate line stats. New lines that are drawn won't (currently) show the 'profile' link in the popup until after the project is saved, the map is cleared, and the project is reloaded. So, there's a workaround to display profiles but it doesn't show the elevation gain.

I'll get after it right after I go fishing in the Sawatch for a couple of days. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 pm Ah, so when I first looked at this issue last year, I determined that Google elevation-lookups were very limited so I spent a few weeks implementing my own elevation lookup service as part of the new GPX Library system. After finishing the GPX project, I forgot to go back to the 14ers.com Map Drawing area and make the necessary changes to calculate line stats. New lines that are drawn won't (currently) show the 'profile' link in the popup until after the project is saved, the map is cleared, and the project is reloaded. So, there's a workaround to display profiles but it doesn't show the elevation gain.

I'll get after it right after I go fishing in the Sawatch for a couple of days. :)
Great, thanks Bill! Enjoy the fishing!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I was able to get part of it working again before leaving today

When you load one of your projects in the Map Drawing Panel, lines should show the Length and Gain stats on the popup, as well as the profile. When you draw new lines, it will still only show Length until the project is saved and reloaded. When I return, I'll get that taken care of as well as do a bit more testing and cleanup.