Home Page Changes

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Home Page Changes

Post by kingshimmers »

I might be the only one, but the UI designer in me really wants the recent activity to be on the left side of the page instead of the right.

(I also think Recent Updates might make more sense as a title, but that's also just personal preference).
"Be the beta you wish to find."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Good points! Thank you.

I’ll be back working on it tonight.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Cygnus X1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
cedica wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am
Cygnus X1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:10 am ...make it collapsible...
It's pretty much what it is now, hovering the pointer over "Peaks" tab and highlighting "14ers", just one click brings new and improved peak list up.
Haha, hadn't explored changes beyond the front page. I eventually would have found it but thanks for pointing that out.
Yeah, I didn't mention that I made a bunch of changes to peak pages, etc. :)

Just one click or tap on "PEAKS" up there by the logo will get you there fast and it has all of the same functionality of the old home page peak list, as well as some sorting options by column.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:10 pm
Cygnus X1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
cedica wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am
It's pretty much what it is now, hovering the pointer over "Peaks" tab and highlighting "14ers", just one click brings new and improved peak list up.
Haha, hadn't explored changes beyond the front page. I eventually would have found it but thanks for pointing that out.
Yeah, I didn't mention that I made a bunch of changes to peak pages, etc. :)

Just one click or tap on "PEAKS" up there by the logo will get you there fast and it has all of the same functionality of the old home page peak list, as well as some sorting options by column.
I don't see the option for Top 100 or 200 anymore though. Is it there and I missed it, or is it in the works? (along with the tri-cent list would be cool....lol)

Edit: I guess clicking on the CO Rank will essentially do the same thing. A lot of scrolling...oh my finger
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

I would like the pause button on the picture on the front page, I always try to guess the peak, now it goes by a little quickly on some of them. I like the new cleaner look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I liked the maroon font better than the current blue.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

oh my, those peak lists are swanky =D> thanks for the updates bill!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Bill, After all these years, you are still cranking and innovating to provide the best dedicated 14'er website in all the land. Hat's off to you and thank you very much for continuing to putting heart and soul into this awesome project!
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

My "Display Settings" updates don't save when I make changes .. anyone else? I'd definitely like the avy FCST permanently on my home page.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

jakethesnake_630 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am My "Display Settings" updates don't save when I make changes .. anyone else? I'd definitely like the avy FCST permanently on my home page.
I'm guessing you're using a mobile device? The CAIC graphic will come up on tablets but not phones because it's a fixed width and doesn't display well on small screens. I'll tinker around with it to see if I can get it to be acceptable or at least display a message above "Recent Activity" when the CAIC level is at or above your specified setting in Display Settings.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:32 am
jakethesnake_630 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am My "Display Settings" updates don't save when I make changes .. anyone else? I'd definitely like the avy FCST permanently on my home page.
I'm guessing you're using a mobile device? The CAIC graphic will come up on tablets but not phones because it's a fixed width and doesn't display well on small screens. I'll tinker around with it to see if I can get it to be acceptable or at least display a message above "Recent Activity" when the CAIC level is at or above your specified setting in Display Settings.
I'm on a PC, tried again today but it won't save. Not a huge deal on my end, but appreciate it.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

You could try changing other options like the # of entries shown in Recent Activity. If none of the changes work, it's likely a cookie blocking issue.