GPX Library (new)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Re: GPX Library (new)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for doing this!
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Now, this is a good idea! Once complete I'll post the ones I've saved over the years. Thanks!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

desertdog wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:25 pm Now, this is a good idea! Once complete I'll post the ones I've saved over the years. Thanks!
This is what we're hoping for. Like many of you, I also have a lot of GPX that would be helpful but are not anywhere on the site.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

d_baker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am Bill, I don't use gps in the mountains but would some type of rating system be useful for user uploaded tracks?

For instance if someone was way off route from the norm, but that user decided to upload the file, to me, that one should be voted down in comparison to someone's track that was spot on for the normal route.

E.g., the recent La Plata winter gpx track request thread. WillE mentioned his track was way off with additional 4mi's or something. Others posted tracks (I assume) were more inline with the typical winter approach to the ridge, therefore that type of track should get voted up.

Make sense?
I can't imagine going to the library and finding multiple tracks for "same" route, and deciding which to choose.
Or would there be a preview of the track so a user could decide that looks good and a viable option for their intended goal?
Yes, this makes sense. As I build the "direct upload" portion, I'll think about how I can provide a "rating" or some way to provide additional information, etc. I'd also like to add search tags as well instead of only being able to search the peak name.

EDIT: And this ...
greenonion wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm
Good idea. And/or maybe add the ability to add some metadata input so folks could give descriptions of a route that could describe being off or a pain in the butt in places. Or simply describes a route as being right on target. I do realize that’s a bit subjective and depends on users actually entering the info
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

bergsteigen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:52 am Have you researched other platforms other than The Google for gpx hosting? I’ve been working on my own gpx library and so far am thinking about Caltopo. I’m just glad I didn’t put the time into Google Maps as I had been planning on, I’m not paying more bills!
It's not the hosting of GPX files that is the problem. It's that I use Google Maps as the base for all mapping on the site and need to keep the GPX Library within that same interface so it's familiar to the site user. Other than summer climbing months, it's not really an issue.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

CHRISTMAS IN JANUARY thank you bill!!!!!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

d_baker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am Bill, I don't use gps in the mountains but would some type of rating system be useful for user uploaded tracks?

For instance if someone was way off route from the norm, but that user decided to upload the file, to me, that one should be voted down in comparison to someone's track that was spot on for the normal route.

E.g., the recent La Plata winter gpx track request thread. WillE mentioned his track was way off with additional 4mi's or something. Others posted tracks (I assume) were more inline with the typical winter approach to the ridge, therefore that type of track should get voted up.

Make sense?
I can't imagine going to the library and finding multiple tracks for "same" route, and deciding which to choose.
Or would there be a preview of the track so a user could decide that looks good and a viable option for their intended goal?
My LaPlata track was off because Apple’s gps tracking is sometimes overly optimistic about distance traveled;) And because I’m the worlds worst route finder ever. It’s amazing that I actually find the top of these damn mountains.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Thanks Bill, that is truly awesome!
Aim high to end high
quackquackcolorado
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

Nice! This will definitely make planning 13ers easier. Instead of perusing through trip reports for beta, clicking on multiple GPX files to get a good idea of possible routes is a lot better. Makes planning faster and lazier.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Excellent idea, Bill! This will be extremely helpful.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

I’m now working on the direct upload / My GPX Files and should have that done in a few days.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Awesome Bill! This is super helpful.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."