Stats on usage

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boomer68
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Stats on usage

Post by Boomer68 »

Just thought I’d share this article on 14er usage stats.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/news/d ... d4684.html
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Stats on usage

Post by Gandalf69 »

"60 percent of all 14er hikes usually happen on Fridays, Saturdays, or sundays." I was thinking it would be closer to 99.9 percent, lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Link to CFI's statistics which were the source of the article

https://www.14ers.org/2019-colorado-14e ... estimates/
Aim high to end high
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

I am blown away that trail usage has gone down in the last year or 2.

I swear in that same time frame the average line of cars ontop of Gunnella pass has more than trippled in length. Two years ago I was able to hike Bierstadt on a weekend and even though I arrived at 8am I was still able to park at the trailhead. Go up there tomorrow as early as 6 am and you would be lucky to find a spot that isn't on the road

Thanks for the link to the stats
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Note that this study was done in 2019 - aka pre-corona days. This year is totally different. It will be interesting a year from now to see if they release numbers for 2020...
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

I was about to post that link, but you guys beat me to it. Interesting. Quandary actually has the highest climber total, presumably because the trailhead is accessible 12 months a year. Others you sort of expect - proximity to Denver, if you can snag 2 or 3 peaks in a day. I note the significant fall off in climbs in the Elks and Sangres, and I suspect that a lot of people do a few of the easier peaks near Denver, get the fourteener experience under their belts and then move on to other things,

Here is a link to the PDF file, stats geeks can get their green eye shades out and look it over.

https://www.14ers.org/wp-content/upload ... -Final.pdf
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Not to hijack the thread but the last line does answer a question we had on here several weeks ago: "how many people actually climb Culebra?"
The answer, apparently, is less than 1000.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

daway8 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:24 pm Note that this study was done in 2019 - aka pre-corona days. This year is totally different. It will be interesting a year from now to see if they release numbers for 2020...
+1

And last year was a big snow year, so fewer people were able to climb until july.

Here was an eye opener for me

"On the busiest day last year, Aug. 3, CFI found 1,090 ascended Quandary." :shock:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Not that I've ever seen an article from Out There Colorado and thought, "Man, that's some great journalism," but this is such a blatant clickbait headline. The stats were down because the season was about six weeks shorter than normal due to the heavy late snow. It says that in the article, and in the source material from the CFI, but most people don't make it that far. I guess that's the state of the media these days, but damn. Still disappointing to see headlines designed to generate views versus providing an overview of the real story.

Add me to the list of people interested to see what the 2020 numbers are. It certainly feels like there are way more people out there this summer.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm
Add me to the list of people interested to see what the 2020 numbers are. It certainly feels like there are way more people out there this summer.
Not disagreeing necessarily, because we didn't do any "popular" mountains this summer, but:

Culebra was probably 30 other people, on a Saturday. Not sure how that compares to other years.
On Lindsey we probably saw a dozen other people.
At Lake Como, there was no one else camped there when we were. We did see a group leaving as we were coming in, and a couple of small groups passed our camp that we doing one day climbs.
Blanca and Ellingwood we probably saw a dozen or so other people.
On Little Bear there was no one else the day we attempted, although that is probably because it was a crappy day (we ended up bailing at the bottom of the hourglass due to fog/drizzle/wet rock).

That is probably too limited of a sample size to draw much of a conclusion from though.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

nunns wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am
SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm
Not disagreeing necessarily, because we didn't do any "popular" mountains this summer, but:

Culebra was probably 30 other people, on a Saturday. Not sure how that compares to other years.
On Lindsey we probably saw a dozen other people.
At Lake Como, there was no one else camped there when we were. We did see a group leaving as we were coming in, and a couple of small groups passed our camp that we doing one day climbs.
Blanca and Ellingwood we probably saw a dozen or so other people.
On Little Bear there was no one else the day we attempted, although that is probably because it was a crappy day (we ended up bailing at the bottom of the hourglass due to fog/drizzle/wet rock).

That is probably too limited of a sample size to draw much of a conclusion from though.

Sean Nunn
In my experience the Blanca area always seems less crowded. Como Rd is a big deterrent I think. When I did Blanca and Hamilton in June there was pretty much no one up there. I have heard that the hourglass has been more dangerous this year though because of the crowds.
Culebra climbers is usually limited to 20 I thought. Maybe because of demand they pushed it to 30?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point