Autumn 14ers

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lcain5
Trip Reports (0)

Autumn 14ers

Post by lcain5 »

Hi everyone,

I a few years back set a goal to try to do a 14er every year; it helps keep me sane. That might not sound like much but since I come from SC at 32 ft above sea level its a marginal goal. I have been taking Covid very seriously and have all but given up on a 14er this year, but as many people are feeling, I really need a vacation!! I am contemplating driving out (I will not fly) to very seriously social distance, but do a climb. I am wondering, I know most peaks are year round if you ski and what not, but are there any peaks that are particularly good in the fall for hiking? Keeping in mind that much like most people right now I am pretty out of shape, so I would need this to be an easier route year- hard to train when you live at sea level and can't gym. I do have crampons and necessary winter gear, but I am just wondering how late in the season people generally "hike" and if there are any mountains known for fall conditions to be superior? I will have to request off work and it would be late September- Oct before I could come out, if I should just give up, or have something to look forward too? Also, any extra gear I should consider packing for the colder season? :) Please help a southerner out!

Thanks for any input!
For reference, I have completed Greys, Torreys, Mt. Yale, Long's and Island peak in Nepal (20k) :)
Last edited by lcain5 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Autumn 14ers

Post by Ptglhs »

Don't bring crampons, you won't be able to use them til Dec at the earliest.

Any hike which starts below treeline will be nice when the leaves are turning. Snowmass is a great 2 or 3 days in the fall.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

October is my favorite time in the Colorado mountains, and you should usually have a wide choice of routes, perhaps with just a light dusting of snow. Someone will chime in about back in such-and-such year when it probably snowed three feet in September, but in general, winter conditions don't start ramping up until December, and most trails are likely to be fairly dry.

Beautiful time of year...yellow aspen, red tundra...lightning is rare...fewer crowds...enjoy.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I'll be the one who says "Bring a jacket". October often comes in like a lamb and out like a lion. But the weather can also be spectacular.
Attachments
20171028-3787-Quandary.jpg
20171028-3787-Quandary.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
Roll No Rocks
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Quandary or Bierstadt are probably your best options.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

There can be wide variations in weather - you may have a snow storm or a bluebird day.
You'll need layers. And a jacket, or outer layer to protect you from wind. In the autumn, the wind tends to replace the summer thunderstorms.
Disclaimer: I'm a wind weenie. :-D

Check this list for ideas - you may want to stick with C1 or C2 routes.
https://www.14ers.com/routes_bydifficulty.php

End of September or early October should be a fine time to hike!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

In a typical year you start getting snow dustings at the end of August. But it really doesnt accumulate until October. A wet or dry season can shift these dates a few weeks either direction. So far 2020 has been an abnormally dry year. So you may hike without snow equipment well into October.

Sometime in September the afternoon thunderstorms halt, allowing afternoon hiking. On the other hand dawn is late at 7AM. Nights usually will be below freezing. And wind chills on the summit can be way below freezing like 10 degrees. And you have to watch for icy spots on the trail from black ice, especially near streams.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 pm Quandary or Bierstadt are probably your best options.
I can’t believe you aren’t recommending Little Bear...🤔
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Will_E wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 pm Quandary or Bierstadt are probably your best options.
Yes, the rocks plummeting down the Hourglass on Little Bear will be changing color around that time, making it a beautiful route! :P

But for a less lethal route for a relative newcomer Quandary or Bierstadt would work just fine as easy options.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

September and October are wonderful times to hike.
September has long periods of high pressure and can have multiple bluebird days in a row.

I think huron would be a great peak to hike in the fall. If there is a dusting of snow on the 3 apostles the view will be delightful.

I am hooked on a local hike to blue lake below sneffles and hike this often and as late in the year as I can drive to the trailhead.

Last year, in mid to late October there was a little snow on the trail starting at about 10,700 feet.
The lake at 11,000 feet did not start to freeze until 1st and 2nd week of November.

The previous year, I could still get to the lake, without snowshoes the day after Thanksgiving.

Of course, last year was a relatively mild year for snow.

I think another nice hike in the fall would be massive. It's a little long but the trail is beautiful and the incline quite moderate. Elbert is close, and shorter.

Another one in that area is La plata.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

La plata, looking towards independence pass is great view in fall. Maybe a trip to Capitol lake. Lots of aspens in that valley.
Attachments
Rock on La plata
Rock on La plata
0918180755.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Will_E wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 pm
Haha I would have except the OP said he was out of shape and I thought the 6000 plus feet of vert might be a bit much. Otherwise, the SW ridge is accessible year round and would be a good option :-D The Sangres are typically the last to see significant snowfall as well.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point