Map suggestions

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Map suggestions

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

SursumDeorsum wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm Thanks, BillMiddlebrook! I see what you mean about the CT and the CDT — if their routes ever change (as I can imagine they might), that would be a whole extra maintenance chore. Thanks for the links to the gpx files to import.

What about the continental divide itself? That line should be stable (on the human timescale, at least, albeit not the geological), so there shouldn't be any maintenance necessary!

Also, a tech support question about the drawing panel: I can import, export, and draw all without difficulty; and I can apparently 'save as' — but once I've saved a project its name never shows up for me, nor do I ever see an 'open' button. Am I doing something wrong?
Once you save in the Drawing Panel, that project is essentially still open and the name is near the top, of the "My Projects" tab. If you hit "Clear the Map," the project will then snow in the list and you can hit the folder-open icon to re-load it to the map.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

As far as the Continental Divide line itself, I've seen KML & GPX files out there but they aren't exact. Sorry, I'm not about to draw it. :-D

If you use the "USATopo" map base-layer, it's on there, just not obvious.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SursumDeorsum
14ers: 3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SursumDeorsum »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 pm Once you save in the Drawing Panel, that project is essentially still open and the name is near the top, of the "My Projects" tab. If you hit "Clear the Map," the project will then snow in the list and you can hit the folder-open icon to re-load it to the map.
That still isn't working for me — when I save a project its name doesn't show up at the top of the 'My Projects' tab, and no folder-open icon ever appears. Is this browser-dependent or something like that? (I'm using Firefox on a Max.)

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:38 pm As far as the Continental Divide line itself, I've seen KML & GPX files out there but they aren't exact. Sorry, I'm not about to draw it. :-D
Hah, indeed, you have lots of other things on your plate! I might take a shot at tracing the southern 40% by hand from either the USATopo or the CalTopo base-layer. For the northern 60%, do you think I could save work by pulling the divide from the county boundaries, or would deleting all the irrelevant parts of the boundaries be more work than re-drawing the relevant parts? (And where would I found a gpx file for those boundaries?)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

SursumDeorsum wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 pm Once you save in the Drawing Panel, that project is essentially still open and the name is near the top, of the "My Projects" tab. If you hit "Clear the Map," the project will then snow in the list and you can hit the folder-open icon to re-load it to the map.
That still isn't working for me — when I save a project its name doesn't show up at the top of the 'My Projects' tab, and no folder-open icon ever appears. Is this browser-dependent or something like that? (I'm using Firefox on a Max.)
Firefox should work fine.
Does it load the data to the map when you Import? And then can you see the "Active Project" box under "My Projects?"
If not, is your browser up-to-date?
mapx.jpg
mapx.jpg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Jim Davies wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 pm I found this KML file for the continental divide via googlism:
https://groups.google.com/a/googleprodu ... kml?part=3
Comparing it with county lines on Google Earth, its accuracy is only so-so. Here's what the KML (red) and county line (green) look like at Ski Cooper.
SkiCooperDivide.jpg
You know, it might be the trees fooling my eyes, but the county line looks like it drops off the ridgeline. If so, it's not exactly on the divide.