Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by 12ersRule »

ZNixon wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:37 am
curt86iroc wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:23 am Most disturbing, they filed a lawsuit earlier this year against Backcountry Babes

Oh no!! Not the babes!!! ](*,) :cry:
I'm guessing their annual calendar is much better than this one
ZNixon
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ZNixon »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 am
ZNixon wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:37 am
curt86iroc wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:23 am Most disturbing, they filed a lawsuit earlier this year against Backcountry Babes

Oh no!! Not the babes!!! ](*,) :cry:
I'm guessing their annual calendar is much better than this one
Right? I would certainly hope so! :lol:
"Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate." -Nietzsche

@ZNixon101
http://zenixon.simplesite.com/
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Emailed them and will be boycotting until this behavior stops. Plenty of other options for purchasing gear.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Companies sometimes sue reviewers and websites that give negative reviews. Careful.
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

Thanks for sharing. They'll be off my list.

This is more egregious than when Steamworks tried to sue every brewery using the word "Cascadian" in beer names, as if they invented the hops.
Steamworks vs EVERYONE

Ah, this old chestnut. In 2012, Steamworks owner Eli Gershkovitch used his trademark of the term Cascadia to stop BC breweries from selling beers called Cascadian Dark Ale. Steamworks had previously brewed a Cascadia Cream Ale, but at the time this was going down, it was no longer brewed (though it was promptly rushed into production after news of this was published).

Gershkovitch called breweries directly and said he was willing to send out Demand Letters if the breweries did not cease use of the name. Given the costs of going to court – a recurring theme here – these breweries backed down, and started calling these beers Black IPAs (or simply CDAs) instead. Eventually, Steamworks agreed to license the term for $1.
https://www.vancourier.com/living/bc-br ... -1.2159386
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

dontbugme wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 amI'll get right on it after I solve climate change.
B*tches ain't s*it.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

speth wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 am If you don’t defend your trademark, you’re effectively abandoning it in the eyes of the law. Feel good - no. Business smart - probably.
Business smart, for sure. I think the real problem is they were approved for a trademark for a generic term that they really shouldn't have been entitled to. As someone else mentioned, it's like Ohio State attempting to trademark "The". Once they got it, of course they're going to try to defend it.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Reminds me of when The Eagles sued a non-profit foundation that was trying to save the eagles. They used the word eagles in their website address and phone number.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:49 pm Reminds me of when The Eagles sued a non-profit foundation that was trying to save the eagles. They used the word eagles in their website address and phone number.
Don Henley and Glen Frey were/are first-class A-holes. Also like the time when the boys from Metallica sued some other metal band for using that F-E chromatic pull-down that's signature to Metallica's sound. They didn't sue over stealing a song melody or anything, they quite literally sued over a two-chord guitar riff.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Not a big fan of Backcountry, since their prices always tended to be on the high side. Their sister-site though, Steep and Cheap has been a go-to staple of mine for years now. However, given their legal antics lately, maybe Warren Miller Films should go after that website since Steep and Cheap sounds an awful lot like one of his classics from the early 80's ...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

FCSquid wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:08 pm Not a big fan of Backcountry, since their prices always tended to be on the high side. Their sister-site though, Steep and Cheap has been a go-to staple of mine for years now. However, given their legal antics lately, maybe Warren Miller Films should go after that website since Steep and Cheap sounds an awful lot like one of his classics from the early 80's ...
Yeah, it's too bad Steep&Cheap is also owned by them.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

maybe Bill can sue 14er Brewing Co. or vice-versa
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"