"when I die" thread?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

"when I die" thread?

Post by d_baker »

Did this thread get deleted?
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: "when I die" thread?

Post by Mtnman200 »

Dunno, but I plan to live forever. So far, so good...
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I've searched for it a couple of times in the past and could not find it. I think it was a victim of the forum purge or maybe Steve's family requested that it be removed?
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Lots of old threads were lost a year or two back when Bill reshuffled the forums. Sadly it looks like Steve's was one of them.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I was able to find this, on his memorial thread, the original one when he first went missing, and later finding out he died.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40282&start=276#p487718
Gueza wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 pm Absolutely devastated. I looked up to Steve almost like the father I never had. Outside of climbing he was always calling me and checking up on me and was always interested in what was new in my life. The most selfless person I've ever met. I'm really gonna miss you bud. Here is some advice Steve gave me not too long ago in a card.

"I'll give you my three rules of life:

1. Be kind
2. Take care of yourself
3. Work Hard.

In my opinion, every great question you'll encounter can be answered by these three rules!"

Thanks for everything Steve, RIP i'll never forget you or what you have taught me.

I know this has already been posted and I also know that not everyone reads every post in a thread so i'll post it again:

.......include this in my last will and testament:

Feel free to post messages of condolence to my chlidren and family.

Do not ask for details (beyond those that a newspaper would report) so that you can "Learn" from my mistakes. Please ,Site Administrators: if you value me at all as a person, delete such requests immediately.

I have seen about 5% (That 5% often does more harm than the 95% does good) of every accident thread deteriorate into a useless guessing game designed to "analyze' the accident. In reality, it only serves to stir up feelings of guilt and loss amongst those left behind. The "lessons" learned never serve to prevent future incidents, because the armchair critics assimilate the info by convincing themselves that , "Since I take precaution "X", that will not happen to me." BS.

In every thread (and in at least one book where the author told me he didn't necessarily consider it important to interview the primary survivor), the critics boil the details down to some trite conclusion which can be filed under a particular chapter of stuff "not to do". Every time, you hear how there are no such things as "accidents"; the person performing the analysis can always explain how they would have prevented the accident. If only they could be there every time we climb!

These things are true:

Upside:
1. Training highlights preventable mistakes : PLEASE take a series of CMC or private courses designed to build skills. Repeat classes peiodically as long as you are a climber.
2. Mentorship and group participation can teach skills (Thanks, TomPierce for the fieldwork in Ruby Basin.) There is always something new to be learned from a partner.
3. GOOD books, i.e. Freedom of the Hills, written to teach actual skills, can help.
4. Time in the field teaches valuable, applicable (but not perfect) lessons.

Downside:
1. Climbing is dangerous and each climber must decide for themselves the level of risk they wish to assume.
2. Rocks move, feet slip, snow slides.
3.The exact conditions leading to an accident are never analyzed 100% correctly (witnesses are dead, traumatized, or non-existent), so the conclusions are always skewed.
4. Time in the field increases that opportunity for #1 and #2 to catch up with you!

What is useful:
1.Expressions of condolence.
2.Continued comfort and support to those left behind. An internet note and attendance at a memorial is 1% of what you COULD choose to do.
3.Take the memory of those lost with you each time you go into the field.

Remembering those who have passed will do more to heighten your own awareness of potential dangers than would a critque of their errors. Remember: you've already taken courses, participated with good mentors, and read valuable books. You know what mistakes can be made. You know that you can make zero mistakes and still die. Vigilance is the best defense and bringing along the memory of those lost partners will always heighten vigilance. Sadly, none of us are 100% vigilant.

Whether an 18 y/o boy with 2 years experience or a 70 y/o legend with 50 years of climbing, you could slip on some ice and die. If we're lucky, we might remember that and look twice before we take that next step.

ONWARDS!

Steve
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

This needs to preserved.

There was also longer version of Steve’s rules for life read by one of his brothers at the funeral. I asked for a digital copy and have that saved somewhere.

There are only a handful of people that I’ve met that I would consider a great man or woman... lots of good people... I probably can count on one hand the number in the first category. Steve was one of those.

One of my partners recently read Steve’s tr on “the index”. It inspired me to re-read some of his old trs. The winter report into the Chicago basin is a classic. I hope all his trs and comments can be saved.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Are all the death spray statistics, especially based on only 40 accidents, that necessary in the above article? But to be fair, it otherwise seems well written even though I never seek such reading material. Not preachy and pretty to the point with only minor editorial.

It is nice to read Steve's post on the rare occasions it pops up I must say however. Always did very much like his #3 point under "what is useful".
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?