Snotel Stations on 14er Map

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Snotel Stations on 14er Map

Post by jchapell »

My apologies if I'm missing this...I don't see the Snotel stations as an overlay on the main Map page. Certainly not complaining, but wanted to ask in case it's no longer available. Wanting to see how much snow the state is getting today!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snotel Stations on 14er Map

Post by nsaladin »

Somewhat related unless bill just renamed the SNOTEL overlay to "Weather Stations", but for whatever reason, they never load when I check "Weather Stations". Might be network/firewall related based on where I'm trying to access it. Going to try on mobile network now.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

nsaladin wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am Somewhat related unless bill just renamed the SNOTEL overlay to "Weather Stations", but for whatever reason, they never load when I check "Weather Stations". Might be network/firewall related based on where I'm trying to access it. Going to try on mobile network now.
I tried and can't load them either. It just spins forever. Don't think it's you
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Yes, the "Weather Stations" checkbox just brings up a box in the lower left saying "Retrieving weather data" but sits there endlessly.

I agree that having a SNOTEL overlay on the map would be handy...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

1) The SNOTEL layer option was only displaying between November and June, so I just changed it to October-June. You should see it now

2) The Weather Stations layer is different than SNOTEL and simply includes wind and temp data. The location of a 3rd partying script had moved, so the map was in need of a coding changed. Done.

Thanks!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

As always, you’re on top of it. Thanks Bill!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:06 am 1) The SNOTEL layer option was only displaying between November and June, so I just changed it to October-June. You should see it now

2) The Weather Stations layer is different than SNOTEL and simply includes wind and temp data. The location of a 3rd partying script had moved, so the map was in need of a coding changed. Done.

Thanks!
Sweet! I'd been struggling to figure out how to navigate through all the SNOTEL data out there - this will make it a lot more efficient to hone in on the relevant info as winter approaches. The weather station overlay is also pretty nifty! Thanks Bill!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:06 am 1) The SNOTEL layer option was only displaying between November and June, so I just changed it to October-June. You should see it now

Thanks!
BAM! Thanks!