See which users have climbed a peak

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: See which users have climbed a peak

Post by Mtnman200 »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:21 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:04 pm Same table for ranked peaks only.

Ranked_13er_climb_stats.jpg
Nice! Really shows that we all have a major dislike for the crappy Elk rock.
Looks like people really dislike the beautiful San Juans, too. Or maybe it has something to do with how remote some of the 13ers are...
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:28 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:21 pm Nice! Really shows that we all have a major dislike for the crappy Elk rock.
Looks like people really dislike the beautiful San Juans, too. Or maybe it has something to do with how remote some of the 13ers are...
That’s just distance from Denver and the fact that 43% of the 13ers are there. Let alone 73 Wemi 13ers!

Yet I’ve still done more Sj’s (62%) than Elks (46%). Hopefully I’ll actually have a year that goes according to my plans, to ski those Elks and get good weather and health to backpack the Wemi.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Yeah, no real surprises with the overwhelming influence of range proximity and peak density. The Elks do stand out a bit.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Oh no! I like Elks. I think Elks require a bit more skill than other ranges, route finding and all. I think they are the best (and hardest) range overall.
Winter - nod to Elks
Spring (skiing)- nod to Elks, although San Juans are alright too
Summer - maybe a tie with San Juans, although Elk wildflowers are next level
Fall - Elks win again

HikerGuy - thanks for doing the tally, I started wondering if I ever gonna run out of Sawatch 13ers, just so many...
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 pm Yeah, no real surprises with the overwhelming influence of range proximity and peak density. The Elks do stand out a bit.
I've stayed away from the Elks due to all the regulations (bear canisters, parking fees, camping permits etc). I understand why they exist but I'd rather just hike somewhere else where I don't have to deal with it.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

SnowAlien wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh no! I like Elks. I think Elks require a bit more skill than other ranges, route finding and all. I think they are the best (and hardest) range overall.
Winter - nod to Elks
Spring (skiing)- nod to Elks, although San Juans are alright too
Summer - maybe a tie with San Juans, although Elk wildflowers are next level
Fall - Elks win again
More skill? Nope. High tolerance to loose crap and a lack of fear of loose crap is needed for Elks. Not saying the SJ’s don’t have some loose crappy routes, but that’s just percentages. You need a lot more skills to complete the SJ’s. (Spoken mostly from the climber vs hiker perspective). I have the skills for the class 5’s in the SJ’s, just not the recent practice or partners. So I’m obviously not talking from the “hiker” side, but the majority of people on this site are hikers. You may like the Elks, but the #’s show most others don’t.

Class 5: SJ 6, E 0
Class 4: SJ 6, E 0
Class 3: SJ 34, E 9
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

TravelingMatt wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 pm Yeah, no real surprises with the overwhelming influence of range proximity and peak density. The Elks do stand out a bit.
I've stayed away from the Elks due to all the regulations (bear canisters, parking fees, camping permits etc). I understand why they exist but I'd rather just hike somewhere else where I don't have to deal with it.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. The Elks are my favorite 14er range and I enjoyed the Centennial peaks there too, but the trailhead challenges are a major deterrent. Just wish the San Juan's were closer because the 13ers there have been my favorites by far over the past two years.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 pm You need a lot more skills to complete the SJ’s.

Class 5: SJ 6, E 0
Class 4: SJ 6, E 0
Class 3: SJ 34, E 9
Haha, more like driving skillz and desire to put 100s of miles on your car.
While I agree with you that SJs have more class 5 peaks and sections, in Elks you need the ability to navigate class 3-4 on loose rock, which feels tricky.
It's subjective to compare solid C5 in San Juans or Sangres vs tentative class 3 in the Elks.
Another thing, while peaks themselves maybe only class 3, the connecting ridges between them are not class 3. Megamidial traverse, Sleeping Sexton from Buckskin and the Conundrum Creek circuit come to mind. If you want to stay on ridges it will be class 5. On loose rock.
San Juans dwarf everything with their #'s (250), while the Elks, being 1/5 of SJs, pack a big punch for their size.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

There are 250 SJs, and 46 Elks. I am sure there are at least 46 SJ peaks that are as crappy as the Elk ones when it comes to rock quality. :lol:

My Elks were behind, but I did 7 or my remaining 8 from the range this year after I got tired of holding them for ski descents that just haven't happened the last 5 years. I found most of those to not be as bad as I expected them to be dry. Only 13060B was an issue (ironically because the couloir was full of snow/ice), and the decent from Cassi to 13260 saddle is not meant for dry hiking.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 am There are 250 SJs, and 46 Elks. I am sure there are at least 46 SJ peaks that are as crappy as the Elk ones when it comes to rock quality. :lol:

My Elks were behind, but I did 7 or my remaining 8 from the range this year after I got tired of holding them for ski descents that just haven't happened the last 5 years. I found most of those to not be as bad as I expected them to be dry. Only 13060B was an issue (ironically because the couloir was full of snow/ice), and the decent from Cassi to 13260 saddle is not meant for dry hiking.
Point Missed....

..Or not read...
bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 pmNot saying the SJ’s don’t have some loose crappy routes, but that’s just percentages.
So of the 13ers I've done dry in the Elks and those I anticipate, ~11 weren't bad. (35/46) So that means 76% are rotten, and should be done with snow, if possible.

Now let's round up and say 50 SJ's are rotten. (50/250 or 20%) That still leaves 80% that are not. Heck, we could even have 100 rotten SJ's and it would still be a better percentage than the Elks! (40% rotten)

Percentages! Math in action!

Point is, I don't look at the Elks and think, yay fun! (unless there is snow, good snow makes everything fun) I think, crap, how much crawling will I have to do, and will a rock hit me on the head, or let loose under my feet! So I put them off for another year.

Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

So playing Devils Advocate here, what you are saying is that the number of rotten SJs as a percentage of rotten Elks is 142%.(50 vs 35)

I see the point you are trying to make, I just think numbers matter more than percentages in this game. If there are X number of rotten peaks and Y number of tech peaks, does it really matter what range they are in if you want to climb all 584? Eventually you have to climb all of them anyway regardless.

If you just climb the "fun" ones, you end up with a list at the end of 100 peaks that you are going to dread. I know, because that is what I have been doing almost the entire summer this year. Trust me, you want to break the chossy ones up and not save them for the end. I tried waiting for the perfect snow conditions for years and ended up with a list of 27 peaks at the beginning of this year that included 13 backpack peaks, 2 trespass peaks, 9 loose, Lizard Head, Grizzly B and my projected finisher. I feel incredibly lucky that I have managed to get 20 new this year.

At least my Wemi backpack trip had some fun ones! Heisspitz, Seven, Five (and I actually liked Nine)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

My plan was to climb each range at the same percentage - or close to it. So that I wasn't leaving the far away ones for last. To mix in backpacks and long trips over the years. To mix up the difficulty levels too, not save hard for last. That way the end wouldn't be a sufferfest. Sorry if that is your current experience Mike.

BUT with 2014, 2015 and 2018 being injury/recovery years, and other years having smoke/fire or bad monsoons, my plan has been more or less destroyed. This year I worked to get the numbers back on plan a bit, since I have finally recovered my strength and speed. Though, leaving the Wemi for "last", isn't terrible. Might be big trips, but at least I will look forward to them!

The only ones I dread now are the super loose in the western SJ's and the Elks that are notorious. (The ones that those who know, laugh at you for doing without snow) I am hoping for a good snow year that doesn't avalanche my routes! I had such glorious plans, then the entire face of a ridge line ripped off in the Elks.

As to SJ rotten %, that's tough, since I have 95 left. Some TR writers seem to have a high tolerance to such junk. There are certain zones within the range, where most routes are bad. Like the San Miguels and Cimmarons (as I presume). While SJ scree is annoying, it isn't terrifying.

I see what you mean on total rotten numbers though, I just see things more as percentages in general. It keeps the numbers more manageable in my head. It's why my 13er list on my webpage has % everywhere. 584 is a big project!