Upgrades

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Upgrades

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Hmm. Did you try clearing your browser cache on your phone?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm
kingshimmers wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 pm I may be doing something wrong, but I seem to be currently unable to upload photos (https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uploadimage.php). It doesn't error - it actually starts the progress bar - but nothing appears to be uploading.
Fixed.
I forgot to activated some image-processing modules used by that page.
Thanks Bill! Good to know it's not always me being an idiot.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm Hmm. Did you try clearing your browser cache on your phone?
I did. Cleared all history/cache/cookies. No luck!

Honestly, it's not much of a bother. Just wanted to get the word out in case it was an easy fix or if a lot of other people had the same issue
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

^I'm still trying to duplicate the problem but not having success.

Do you mind telling you what device/browser you're using, so I could do further testing?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 pm ^I'm still trying to duplicate the problem but not having success.

Do you mind telling you what device/browser you're using, so I could do further testing?
Yep! I'm on a Motorola G5, running Android 8.1.0, in chrome
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I was having similar issues with it auto scrolling, but it appears to be ok now, could be that I just got a new phone (Samsung S9), the other one was dying a slow death
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I found the "scrolling to top" problem.

You each have "360 Summit Panos" as your default display from a regular computer. When you enter the home page using a mobile device, it takes a while to load the pano files so if you swipe before it's done, it pops back to the top.

Until I get it fixed, you could change your "Display Settings" (top-right of home page, under Profile) back to "14er Photos" and it will likely fix the problem because those photos load much faster.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

It should be fixed on most mobile devices.

Now, when the home page detects a mobile, it won't even bother to retrieve panos but instead display a lightweight background image. This reduces page load time dramatically.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Seems like the big picture/background on the home page is gone. Would love to see that come back. I enjoy scrolling down, trying to identify that nice, clear, large picture and verifying my guess with the label at the bottom.

Using chrome on a windows laptop.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

druid2112 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 am Seems like the big picture/background on the home page is gone. Would love to see that come back. I enjoy scrolling down, trying to identify that nice, clear, large picture and verifying my guess with the label at the bottom.

Using chrome on a windows laptop.
You're Display Settings are set to "360 Pano" and I changed the home page to display one of just a few background images if you're displaying a pano. If you want to see changing images, you can change your "Display Settings" (using the Profile menu on top of home page) to "14er Photos."
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 am It should be fixed on most mobile devices.

Now, when the home page detects a mobile, it won't even bother to retrieve panos but instead display a lightweight background image. This reduces page load time dramatically.
Thanks for fixing this. I always thought it's just an annoying "feature" of Android.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

My pleasure. Sorry I didn't see it sooner!