Route “Risk Factors”

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Route “Risk Factors”

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

After discussion in this thread, I completed a set of 4 risk factors which will expand upon the difficulty of individual routes. I’ve tried to display the risk factors in a simple manner but also in-your-face on the route descriptions.

You’ll see the new info on the following pages:
1) The route list for a given peak/group. Here the risk factors can be expanded but the default is to keep the page simple. On a small mobile device you may not see the risk factors - try rotating to landscape. They will display on larger screens.
2) Route descriptions
3) Printed route descriptions
4) The route selection page

I still have to tweak the risk rating text on the help page.

Hope this helps
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Route “Risk Factors”

Post by glenmiz »

Bill, I started looking through and looks like a good step to segregating risks that people perceive differently. Thanks for never letting things get static or ignoring good ideas from the users.

Glen
Aim high to end high
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Looks great, Bill!

Thank you!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Good idea, Bill! Quite a useful route-planning feature.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Ditto - I really like this feature.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Thank you for the work on these features. They add a lot, especially for folks just starting out climbing. Glad you moved to word rankings on the esposure as I think some people had confused it with the climbing class rankings. Great stuff!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I like it - it's the right amount of granularity: I wanna know in a glance what I'm getting into, and it's one of the first things you see in the route description. Does the job.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Really good stuff Bill. I can imagine this will help prevent some people from getting in over their heads.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

I like it a lot.

This might just be me, but my initial reaction to the word "considerable" in pink was similar to that of extreme, at first I thought it was a different rating that went beyond extreme. I know that's not what it means, and the risk factors explanations clear that up, but to me it gave off that vibe of something like "this route has CONSIDERABLE rockfall danger, beware!" And we all know that's not really the case with say, the west ridge of evans.
nunns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

LURE wrote:I like it a lot.

This might just be me, but my initial reaction to the word "considerable" in pink was similar to that of extreme, at first I thought it was a different rating that went beyond extreme. I know that's not what it means, and the risk factors explanations clear that up, but to me it gave off that vibe of something like "this route has CONSIDERABLE rockfall danger, beware!" And we all know that's not really the case with say, the west ridge of evans.
I think the words "considerable" and "extreme" will serve as warnings for people who have little to no experience with harder routes. For those who climb a lot, we recognize that both terms are subjective. My guess is that none of these designations is set in stone. Personally I think it's amazing that Bill was able to get all of these hazard ratings integrated into the 14ers website almost overnight. I am guessing he would be willing to modify them should consensus dictate a different rating.

Sean Nunn
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

nunns wrote:
I think the words "considerable" and "extreme" will serve as warnings for people who have little to no experience with harder routes. For those who climb a lot, we recognize that both terms are subjective. My guess is that none of these designations is set in stone. Personally I think it's amazing that Bill was able to get all of these hazard ratings integrated into the 14ers website almost overnight. I am guessing he would be willing to modify them should consensus dictate a different rating.

Sean Nunn
Absolutely. And yes thank you Bill, it is very well done.

I only think considerable is a misleading word for a rating that falls between moderate and high. That might just be me though!
nunns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Lure,

I am confused (not that unusual). Do you think the word "considerable" understates or overstates the dangers of rockfall and exposure?

Sean Nunn