Solo and winter ascents

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Solo and winter ascents

Post by daway8 »

Wondering what officially qualifies as a Solo Ascent? I saw elsewhere that the Winter Ascent isn't necessarily related to climbing a peak under winter conditions per se, but rather doing the peak between 12/21 and 3/21, regardless of how much or little snow there is or what the weather is doing. So is there an equally particular definition of Solo Ascent? Haven't spotted a thread yet that officially defines this. Does it just mean not teaming up with anyone at any point along the hike or is this reserved for the near mythical state of climbing a 14er without encountering anyone during the entire hike (is that even possible in this day and age??). Thinking about backfilling the data on the extra link I overlooked when I first started filling out the checklist and wanting to avoid the ire of anyone who might actually take issue if I were to claim a bunch of bogus solo ascents (I doubt many folks care, just wanting to be legit on anything I enter). I'm very often solo by the first definition above but never (yet) according to the second.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Solo and winter ascents

Post by Monster5 »

You're about to get some insanely nerdy responses regarding winter.

I don't think I can give an opinion relating "soloing" with highly-trafficked, sub-class 5, non-technical peaks without coming across as incredibly elitist, so perhaps the nerds can go to town on that one too.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

You define what solo means. Kind of like you define what it means to summit a peak. And yes, it is possible to never encounter another person on a 14er. I've done it many times.

Where do I put in my request for a checkbox that says "no Y chromosome"?
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

maybe to get the ball rolling on debate here...

I could see there being a logical argument for a distinction between "going alone" vs "solo ascent". I bet there will be some good everest comparisons here. one could go alone on everest during the busy weather window, but would it really come off as a solo ascent?

I dunno.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

First, no one will really care about soloing or not soloing, and what you check off. These are your goals, you define them. As long as you’re not writing some self promoting book, or desiring some stupid “title”, you’re fine.

Second, I define soloing as just hiking the peak solo, or alone. Because of the first point (no one cares) it doesn’t really matter if there are other people on the peak, or if I even say Hi or chat to someone along the way.

I’ve hiked numerous peaks where I’ve seen no one all day, or for several days. These are obviously more “alone” than hiking an easy popular 14er close to Denver in the height of summer on the weekend.

Enjoy your journey and your goals!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Keep it simple:

Solo = Ascend and descend by yourself as one party
Winter = Typically defined as calendar winter
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Hard to define solo for 14er hiking, since a partner is usually optional anyways. It's not like a technical climb, where the conventional way to go about things is with a partner to help with belaying. Doing a technical route alone can be much harder/time consuming/more dangerous (even if you're still using a rope/gear - called, "rope soloing").

Going, "alone" may make more sense as a way to describe it. As in, "I started out alone", or, "I didn't have a hiking partner, I went alone".

Winter is a little different, since breaking trail is a big job. Breaking trail alone is a lot harder than having multiple people doing the approach with you. Gets a little touchy when you "poach" an already-existing trail. Some people do following the, "going alone, breaking trail, not poaching" ethic. Pretty seriously.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Soloing always sounds cooler no matter what you do.

For example, "I soloed the laundry last night" sounds way cooler than "I did the laundry last night".
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I eat lunch by myself to prepare for my solo climbs
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

I made an attempt on crestone needle with a friend, and we picked up another companion on the way. We got up and over BHP together and then at the base of the gullies they got nervous about the weather and I kept going. At that point I probably would have said I was solo'ing the needle. I got really nervous about the weather and my route finding abilities and was about to turn back when I ran into a party of 4 or 5 guys that had already been up it once. I followed them up to the gully crossing and to the summit, then back down to the gully crossing. If they hadn't been there I wouldn't have made it to the summit. At that point I did not feel that I had solo'd the route :)
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

bergsteigen wrote:As long as you’re not writing some self promoting book, or desiring some stupid “title”, you’re fine.

Monthly 14ers.com burn of the good doctor. Check.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

JaredJohnson wrote:I made an attempt on crestone needle with a friend, and we picked up another companion on the way. We got up and over BHP together and then at the base of the gullies they got nervous about the weather and I kept going. At that point I probably would have said I was solo'ing the needle. I got really nervous about the weather and my route finding abilities and was about to turn back when I ran into a party of 4 or 5 guys that had already been up it once. I followed them up to the gully crossing and to the summit, then back down to the gully crossing. If they hadn't been there I wouldn't have made it to the summit. At that point I did not feel that I had solo'd the route :)
I had a bagel for breakfast.