Solo and winter ascents

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Solo and winter ascents

Post by bergsteigen »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:As long as you’re not writing some self promoting book, or desiring some stupid “title”, you’re fine.

Monthly 14ers.com burn of the good doctor. Check.
Never Forget!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

After doing a couple of these now I formed my opinions on this subject.

I almost always start solo but many times I'll hook up with others. If I depend on them for route finding, support, etc. through the crux/s of the route I won't claim I did it solo even though I started and often ended alone.
If it's a Class 1 or 2 per se, I might still consider it a solo even though I joined others. Because it's not a big deal, I'm just walking a path. For me the solo box is about navigating through areas at or above my skillset alone. Hiking / climbing alone beyond my comfort level.

I won't check the Winter box unless it Falls within the Winter calendar months regardless. However, it's more important to me that I'm in snow and Winter conditions. It's what I enjoy. I'm more interested in camping and climbing in snow than I am worried about checking off the Winter box. Though, I'd prefer to climb in the Winter with Winter conditions.
I should be on a mountain
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

XterraRob wrote:Keep it simple:

Solo = Ascend and descend by yourself as one party
Winter = Typically defined as calendar winter
^This^
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Seriously? No one has gotten all equinoxy and Merriam Webster on this yet?
What if you begin before the equinox but summit after it? Is that a regular ascent but a winter descent?

What if you don't stand on the summit block, but you do touch it, but someone else is nearby, and you can't find the summit register but it's not the highest point anyway??
Is it a solo summit, a summit, or none at all?!

Tallgrass, where are you?!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Thanks all, I think I'll go with XterraRob's response as that is the most straightforward one but kudos to Scott P for most creative reply.

Quick follow-up variation: if someone helps me change a lightbulb while I'm studying the route description but I ascend and descend on my own, does it still count as a solo? :-D Sorry, still getting laughs out of the lightbulb thread - that was so classic!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If you're hiking with others, but don't talk to them are you hiking solo? What if you're not alone, but feel alone? Can you hike solo and still be alone even if you think you're with others? What if you reach the summit, but don't remember? Does it still count as a summit? What if its calendar winter, but you think its summer because there's no snow so you strip down to your skivvies and finish after calendar winter? Is it really a winter ascent? These are all difficult questions to answer. What if you forget which peak you're climbing and check off one at random, is it still a summit? Face it. Hiking on 'shrooms complicates things.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

Is it solo if your dog is with you? And has anyone solo’d all the 14ers with a dog?

Could be a book deal in that.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

:-"
Attachments
HanSoloCarbonite.jpg
HanSoloCarbonite.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
hokiehead
14ers: 49  2  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

one of the FKT guys addressed the solo piece on their webpage (30 seconds of googling didn't find it, not sure if it's Hamilton or someone else). the criteria was setting out by yourself and not getting help in the form of gear transport, navigation, etc... from anyone else. They used an example of passing a descending climber who, unsolicited, says "you're almost there -- it's about another 1/2 mile to the summit" and takes the position that even w/ this exchange of information, it's still soloing.
Insta: hokiehead
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Did Ralston explain his opinion on what "solo"/"alone" meant? I did some searching and didn't stumble into a direct quote. I'm going to assume he crossed paths with at least a few people and didn't create a parallel trench when one already existed.
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

Garrett wrote:Is it solo if your dog is with you? And has anyone solo’d all the 14ers with a dog?

Could be a book deal in that.
Apparently yes (a dog has climbed all of them).

http://14ercanine.com
Rich
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

hokiehead, "....passing a descending climber who, unsolicited, says "you're almost there -- it's about another 1/2 mile to the summit" and takes the position that even w/ this exchange of information, it's still soloing."

Stating you're 1/2 mile away and your almost there is not aiding in route finding, aid in walking up a trail, or assistance with cruxes.
Last edited by CheapCigarMan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I should be on a mountain