Google Maps on 14ers.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Google Maps on 14ers.com

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Due to Google's recent pricing model change, I will be limiting access to some of the Google maps on 14ers.com.

I've been monitoring the usage of Google Maps since their pricing change and at this rate, I'll be paying Google a couple of thousand bucks a month for access to the maps API. No thanks. In July alone, there have been nearly 1 million Google Map api requests from 14ers.com.

Individual route description Google Maps will still be open to non-registered users but the following sections will now be limited to registered users:
1) Route list for a peak/peak group
2) Route page - profile tab
3) Peak page - Google Map tab

Sorry!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Google Maps on 14ers.com

Post by James Dziezynski »

I've been reading about the same issue at GPS Visualizer - kind of lame to see Google doing a "little bit of evil" -

Good call, though, Bill - seems like the best idea given the large traffic numbers.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I have a brand-new, novel, never before considered-or discussed, excellent idea on how to pay for this!

Start selling 13ers.com bumper stickers again! And then perhaps we can talk about selling advertising space. Oh, and what about tiered subscription plans? Pay-per-post? We can make 14ers.com a cash cow!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Maybe it's time to consider CalTopo? AccuTerra? OpenStreetMap (OpenCycle)? USFS?
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

pmeadco wrote:Maybe it's time to consider CalTopo?
+1

I do all of my back-country planning using CalTopo. All of it.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

$5/year membership
jladderud
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jladderud »

Thanks, Bill, for keeping the Google Maps options around for registered users. The Google Maps (and layers) tabs are one of my favorite features on this site. In my naivete I had no idea they were so expensive to you--and I'm sure my latest REI purchase (in which I used your pass-through link) did little to help cover the cost.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Peakbagger also got rid of google maps on its website due to costs.

Go with Caltopo and ArcGIS world topo. Both are used by peakbagger and look good within the USA
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I'm probably responsible for several hundred map hits everyday! It's my favorite interface to dig down into info on the 13ers. Would it help to use another map layer (esriTopo?), as the default setting in order to keep the google map loads down?

Or maybe a user setting where you select the default map you want to view? Then if someone really wants a Google layer than can select it as default.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I should have mentioned that the most important map page on the site - the Google map on each route description - will remain open to all users.

I’d hate to have to convert the current mapping interface with another API but if Google continues to put the screws to us, I may have to make more changes. Gross
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

HikerGuy wrote:Would it help to use another map layer (esriTopo?), as the default setting in order to keep the google map loads down?
It may. I have to do a bit of research on how they count stuff. If it’s by map tile, then a different default map layer might help.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Bill, I really appreciate what you do (most of it behind the scenes) to keep this site at the top of the heap. All of this stuff is greek to me but I really like what the site offers and I use it daily. Hope you can keep it at this standard with little cost to the user but I understand the forces at work. Good luck!
Aim high to end high