iPhone GPX downloading problem

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
frankd720
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

iPhone GPX downloading problem

Post by frankd720 »

Hi all,

I've recently started getting to this "read only view" when I click the GPX file link for a route on the app. I've downloaded GPX files on the app for years without any problem and this is super frustrating. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, and my iphone software is up to date. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for a potential solution? Thanks!
Attachments
image1(1).png
image1(1).png (222.48 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: iPhone GPX downloading problem

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Dunno. The app leaves it up to the iOS operating system to open the file with a designated gpx app or download the file.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
frankd720
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by frankd720 »

Thanks anyways Bill. In the past when I would click the GPX link in the app for a route, a new browser with the little GPX file icon and file name would open up and from there I could import the file into my Gaia app. Now suddenly... read only browser window every time. Same phone, Gaia still installed, etc. etc.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Yeah, I believe someone else mentioned that this happened but I don’t know why.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
gonza362
14ers: 52  3  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonza362 »

I have the same problem, but still haven't figured it out using the 14ers.com gpx. It's really strange as some of the routes work, and others do not. I was able to get it working through Gaiagps.com's gpx route for a couple different climbs though.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Some of the GPX files are routes, and some of them are tracks. That might be the difference.

The way I do it works 100% of the time for me, for all GPX on the site.

I download the GPX to my dropbox account. I usually do this with my PC, but I just did the Grays/Torreys from the 14ers app to my dropbox on my iphone without a problem.
From dropbox, I find the file, then click the ... dots. Then, I select "open with". And, I pick GAIA.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

similar to rob, I have a method where I email myself the gpx route and click the attachment on the email and I can "open with Gaia" and it works great every time.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

rob runkle wrote:Some of the GPX files are routes, and some of them are tracks. That might be the difference.

I download the GPX to my dropbox account. I usually do this with my PC, but I just did the Grays/Torreys from the 14ers app to my dropbox on my iphone without a problem.
From dropbox, I find the file, then click the ... dots. Then, I select "open with". And, I pick GAIA.
Glad this works!

As far as RTE vs TRK gpx files, all of the route description gpx files accessible from the app should be in "RTE" (route) format.

I'm not sure why some devices don't recognize it as a GPX file and present app options when downloading. I haven't been able to replicate the problem on my iOS devices. :(
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
rob runkle wrote:Some of the GPX files are routes, and some of them are tracks. That might be the difference.

Glad this works!

As far as RTE vs TRK gpx files, all of the route description gpx files accessible from the app should be in "RTE" (route) format.

I'm not sure why some devices don't recognize it as a GPX file and present app options when downloading. I haven't been able to replicate the problem on my iOS devices. :(
Yup. All of the TRK files I've found were 13ers (not in the app).
jay_hawker
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jay_hawker »

I started having this exact same problem a few weeks ago, but I got a new phone around the same time so I thought it was just me. The work around I've used (as has already been pointed out) is emailing it to yourself, opening the email with your phone, then when you download the attachment it should give you the menu that lets you open with Gaia (or whatever app you use).

This is a workable temporary fix but it's not a solution. I still haven't figured out a way to download the tracks without using a laptop with internet access, which is obviously a problem when I'm camping out in the mountains. Compared to before, where it was as simple as clicking download in the mobile app, then selecting "open with Gaia"...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Apple could have changed the way iOS handles the download but I have yet to be able to replicate the problem. I have a new iPhone 8+ with the latest iOS version and it works for me.

I have GPXViewer app installed and iOS asks me if I want to open the file in that app after I download. Maybe I’ll remove that app to see how iOS responds afterwards
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

BTW, for this of you having probs, does Safari open when you attempt the gpx download? Safari is what intercepts the download when I download one. It asks me what app to use from there