iPhone GPX downloading problem

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Re: iPhone GPX downloading problem

Post by rob runkle »

FYI. My popup block setting is set to BLOCK and I cannot change it. It is greyed out due to being a work phone and connected to my companies exchange with all kinds of extra forced security.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

AlexeyD wrote:Bill,

I just tried opening both the GPX and KML files from the app, and no change from yesterday with either one. It still goes right to a Safari window with XML code, just like Rob said.

I wonder if deleting and re-installing the app would make any difference?

Thanks for working on this!

AD
Bummer. The app has nothing to do with it because it just sends a url to iOS which opens the browse (Safari). The url is a download program on 14ers.com and it serves the file.

I’ll do a bit more searching...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Just for fun, I downloaded GPX Viewer onto my phone. With this app I can sort of get around the problem by downloading the GPX file from the link that shows up in the address bar of the Safari window that pops up after I download the file. However, I can't get the same file into Gaia, which I would much prefer to use.

I can still get the GPX files I want the old fashioned way, i.e. by downloading them onto a PC and then importing them to my Gaia account and then opening them with the app. So it's not really a huge issue, just kind of strange.
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Bill, turn on your safari popup blocker and see if that shows xml code.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

rob runkle wrote:Bill, turn on your safari popup blocker and see if that shows xml code.
IDK, I've tried it with the blocker on and off, and there's no difference for me.
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

AlexeyD wrote:
rob runkle wrote:Bill, turn on your safari popup blocker and see if that shows xml code.
IDK, I've tried it with the blocker on and off, and there's no difference for me.
Shrug... it just seems like it has to be an ios thing.
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

FYI. Dont know if i tried this before... but going to .com for gpx (not app), i get same thing - xml code.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

rob runkle wrote:FYI. Dont know if i tried this before... but going to .com for gpx (not app), i get same thing - xml code.
Yep, I tried this too even though as Bill says it shouldn't have anything to do with the app.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Damn, I can’t replicate it!!!!!!

Once I do, I can test some changes to the download program to find a way to make Safari happy for all. I’ll see if I can get access to more Apple devices. Can’t believe I just typed that.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Damn, I can’t replicate it!!!!!!

Once I do, I can test some changes to the download program to find a way to make Safari happy for all. I’ll see if I can get access to more Apple devices. Can’t believe I just typed that.
Haha.

Fyi. Im running ios 11.4.1 iphone x
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Just to make it more confusing... i tried from .com on my wifes iphone x ios 11.4.1.
Attachments
3A5A4B8C-6E5E-4D93-89A3-6754858D846C.jpeg
3A5A4B8C-6E5E-4D93-89A3-6754858D846C.jpeg (720.89 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Only differnces between my phone and my wifes that I could find were in the certificates. Her certificates were not restricting pop ups or icloud. Mine are. Not sure why. The certificates are from our company, same company. Only other differnece is her service is verizon. Mine is ATT.