Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Post by stoopdude »

seano wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 pm
stoopdude wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:13 am Related, has anyone here day-tripped Jupiter or the Chicago Basin 14ers from Vallecito? I think this would be an interesting way to do Jupiter while getting to see an entirely new drainage. I reckon this would come out to 37-38 miles and 8-9000k gain, although its unclear to me if you can save some distance by taking the ridge up from Columbine Lake (does it go?). This is probably the very top end of what I'd be willing to try in a day.
Yeah, I did Jupiter from Vallecito: http://www.drdirtbag.com/2016/09/29/jupiter-10h50/ . You can cut through via Hazel Lake to save some time, which I only discovered on the return. No idea on the stats.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Post by terrysrunning »

I think finding the right weather is harder than doing the route. To this day, that's the only time I've ever backpacked, but I wouldn't have bothered if I could have gotten a good weather window. But I knew it was going to storm, I knew I was going to do Jupiter as well, and I had dreams of also getting P/T if everything had gone perfectly. At it was, storms chased me down a few times, so I wasn't having fun any more and headed back into Silverton to get peach cobbler at Handlebars after hitting the 5 in the Chicago Basin. If I could have waited for good weather, I think doing them in one push is waaay easier. But as spots to camp go, that one doesn't suck, so I don't regret backpacking just that once. If I'd run in there, and gotten chased down by storms and had to make another trip back for an orphan, I'd have been really annoyed.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye