My Story of Finishing The Centennials.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bailey Tyson
14ers: 54 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

My Story of Finishing The Centennials.

Post by Bailey Tyson »

Amy and I finished the high 100, and here is my story:

Amy and I are from Ohio, and never dreamed we would climb mountains. That fact that we did so is due to some weird twist of fate. Thanks to the DEA. :-D

Way back in 2002, I was being toured around Colorado by my friend, Greg Brosch, and I was looking at The DeLorme Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer when I saw under "Unique Natural Areas" a place called Windy Ridge. The description of 1000 year old bristlecone pine trees intrigued me, and we soon found our place at the foot of Mt. Bross. I pointed at the top and said "Let's go up there!". Greg, said, "No way, Dude, that's a Fourteeeeener, we can't go up there.". I, having no idea what a fourteener was, insisted that we would be on top in three hours. He assured me that we would come back the next weekend and give it a go. At this time, I was a 70 pounds overweight Ohio drunk and druggie. We made it up in four hours, and I was taken in by the views from the top. So thank you lowly Mt. Bross, and Greg, for the introduction of mountains into my life. Next came Greys and Torreys, Bierstadt, and some scrambling around on a hunk of Fort Collins rock called Greyrock. I was hooked. I soon purchased Gerry Roach's Colorado's Fourteeners, and so thanks to to Mr. Roach for the invaluable information and inspiration.

Amy finished her PhD and we decided to move to Colorado. It was due to her job at Johns Manville that I met my mountain mentor, Elam Leed, and began to climb in earnest around 2004. I finished the 14ers in 2010, Amy in 2012. 70 pounds melted away somewhere in between. Back to my "fighting weight" of around 140 pounds, rock climbing was calling. Elam (and his brother, Woody) graciously mentored me up classic climbs like Kieners Route on Longs Peak, Rewritten and The Yellow Spur at the famed Eldorado Canyon, and introduced me to many other climbing areas including Castlewood Canyon, Turkey Rocks, and The South Platte. Soon rock climbing had taken over. Thanks to new mentors including Julius Beres and Kirk Miller, I advanced. With Julius, I climbed many things I never though possible. Thinks like Outer Space and The Naked Edge, and others too numerous to list.

5.12 was real climbing, and 5.12 I have climbed. Under Kirk's tutelage, I was fortunate to be able to develop some classic hard climbs at Staunton State Park, and some not so classic climbs in other areas. Other partners have pushed me further than I ever dreamed. People like Matt Lloyd and Mike Moelter. This year Peter Weinberg helped me climb the mega line Time Wave Zero in Potrero Chico, Mexico. But it was my wife, Amy Ferryman, who pushed me the furthest. It is only with her constant support and belief in me that I have done anything at all in this life. After completing the 14ers, she insisted that we continue on to finish Colorado's highest 100 peaks. Amy did not grow up in an athletic environment. She is from Cleveland, Ohio. She has fought harder than me to climb these peaks. Her determination, strength, and courage continue to inspire me.

I like to say that everyone climbs a different mountain, and everyone starts from a different place.

I remember saying to Amy when she took the her last few steps to the summit of Maroon Peak, "Welcome to Never-never Land." She asked what I meant, and I reminded her how she had told me on a sightseeing trip to Maroon Lake that she would never climb that mountain.

I remember asking my dying Mom what she wanted me to do with the rest of my life, and her reply was that she only wanted Amy and me to be "happy together in the mountains". We haven't always been, but we have tried. We have shared many magical (transcendental as Roach would say) summits including Capitol Peak, Little Bear, Mount Rainier, The Grand Teton, Mount Olympus, and now Jagged Mountain. I am grateful.
Last edited by Bailey Tyson on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fight the battle that is already lost.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My Story of Finishing The Centennials.

Post by ltlFish99 »

Congratulations, and thanks for an absolutely wonderful story.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Congratulations. What a special way to do all the peaks having a loved one by your side. The 13ers await, Lifetime of adventures to be had in Colorado. :-D
maledeel
14ers: 31  11  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maledeel »

Congrats on an amazing accomplishment Amy and Tyson! Seems like ages ago when you guys were just getting started.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Great story, thank you for sharing it!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
kristinfai
14ers: 55 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kristinfai »

Congratulations! I met y’all last summer hiking Culebra Peak/Red Mountain and I remember y’all saying that you were working on the Centennials, so it’s awesome hearing this!
OwenRichardson
13ers: 45 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OwenRichardson »

Congratulations! I'm not positive, but I believe we (two young boys) camped next to you guys near Vallecito Creek. Regardless, I'm super happy to hear you got Jagged! What an awesome way to finish out a multi-year project.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Congratulations to you both and thank you for sharing your story.

Glen
Aim high to end high
zolpatrol
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zolpatrol »

Congratulations! Great story! It's amazing how our minds quickly turn from "no way" to "what can I summit next"
“Wander a whole summer if you can...time will not be taken from the sum of your life. Instead of shortening, it will definitely lengthen it and make you truly immortal.”
― John Muir

ig: zolpatrol
Bailey Tyson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bailey Tyson »

kristinfai wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm Congratulations! I met y’all last summer hiking Culebra Peak/Red Mountain and I remember y’all saying that you were working on the Centennials, so it’s awesome hearing this!
Thanks! Red Mountain was a tough one to go back for, lol.
Last edited by Bailey Tyson on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey Tyson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bailey Tyson »

Thanks, everyone, for the kudos! That's why we finished the darn list after all! :mrgreen:
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Great work, congratulations!!! \:D/