Type-2 fun stories

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Type-2 fun stories

Post by OldTrad »

jfm3 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 am Took almost 12 hours and I was wallowing through thigh-deep snow most of the last 9 miles.
OMG what am effing nightmare! Hopefully the bulk of the wallowing was done in the dark... :wft:
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:20 am Pretty much any hike I did this year that had long stretches that had been decimated by March's avalanche cycle were Type 2 fun. The worst was the hike out of Lime Creek after repeating the Avalanche/Hammer ridge. Multiple new slide paths with a lot of downed timber. Words can't describe how awful the hike out was.
Yep! I did the Ribbed to Eagle Peak B traverse on LDW. I did the low valley in the morning... so I KNEW I was gonna be stoked to be on some airy cliffs & not repeating the route back through most of that mess! I just read your TR on Avalanche & Hammer - strong work! :bicep: I might have to give that one a go sometime... in a few years, after the trail gets back to normal!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Thanksgiving dinner at my mother-in-law's.

on second thought, that was probably type 3.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

justiner wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 am
jerseybrian wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm Long's duathlon would probably be #1 for me so far. I heard about it on top of Green Mountain one day from an ultra guy. I thought it sounded like fun! I trained for a few years doing the Mt. Audobon duathlon and attempting to go for Long's. Last year I made 2 attempts and my 2nd I made it! Even at the Boulder field I was thinking about turning back and why I was doing such a crazy thing. By the time I made it back to Lyons for ice cream at the dairy bar I knew I was hooked! I'll be doing it again to try to shave a couple hours off. I had worked an 8 hour shift, packed and left at 11pm and got back to Boulder at 7pm the next day! One of the best days of my life!
NICE WORK!
Thanks Justin! I got a lot of inspiration from your adventures up there as well!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I ran the Crow Pass Crossing in 2001, when the last 5 miles of the course were underwater and required wading for an hour or more in waist deep glacier run off. As I recall, it really helped the sore knees, but maybe qualifies as type 2 anyway? not sure
IMG_0193[1].JPG
IMG_0193[1].JPG (66.6 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I just realized that pretty much my entire life consists of Type II fun... Is there a support group for this?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 pm I ran the Crow Pass Crossing in 2001, when the last 5 miles of the course were underwater and required wading for an hour or more in waist deep glacier run off. As I recall, it really helped the sore knees, but maybe qualifies as type 2 anyway? not sure
Alaska is literally the best.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

justiner wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 pm bulls**t.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

pbakwin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm I just realized that pretty much my entire life consists of Type II fun... Is there a support group for this?
Probably, but there's not actually a cure.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

pbakwin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm I just realized that pretty much my entire life consists of Type II fun... Is there a support group for this?
14ers.com.
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:28 pm Thanksgiving dinner at my mother-in-law's.

on second thought, that was probably type 3.
:lol:

For me, that was any occasion with my ex-stepfather-in-(Colorado’s so troublingly nebulous that I was legitimately worried I’d be on the line for alimony after the breakup) common-law. He missed his calling as a fire-and-brimstone preacher, only he lacked the fire. Type 3 also encompasses the 6.75 years of fun I had with his stepson, though even I can’t place 100% of the blame on that mangy little sewer rat for the apathetic-at-best attitude toward dating I’ve had in the seven years since I dumped him. Only 95-99%, perhaps.

As for the original question...my trip reports are largely about the Type 2 outings I’ve had, and most of those either involve the Sawatches or encounters with the infamous Lake Como Road.

My first time up Longs was Type 3; I got my body temperature down to 87.1 degrees, and that turned out to be the least of my concerns! But I went back and did it again the next year (I had to be carried down the last mile on a stretcher the first time, which - by my admittedly ridiculous reckoning - invalidated the previous fourteen), had 100% fewer ER visits, and nonetheless swore that would be my last fighting that mountain. These days, I continuously check weather forecasts for that peak to see if there’s a good window in which I can climb it again... ](*,)
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Teresa Gergen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 am
Probably, but there's not actually a cure.
Agreed that there's no cure specific to type-2 addiction, however my understanding is that a more drastic "scorched earth" approach can be taken.

All you have to do is increase the "fun"/"treatment" level to type-3 (see definition). This is as effective as anything short of a lobotomy, although those who know me may disagree, and will result in a complete cure for type-2 and type-3 mountain activities.

If, after engaging in type-3 fun you aren't cured, then by definition you didn't really up the fun to type-3, so go back and turn the "treatment" up a few clicks.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

OldTrad wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Agreed that there's no cure specific to type-2 addiction, however my understanding is that a more drastic "scorched earth" approach can be taken.

All you have to do is increase the "fun"/"treatment" level to type-3 (see definition). This is as effective as anything short of a lobotomy, although those who know me may disagree, and will result in a complete cure for type-2 and type-3 mountain activities.

If, after engaging in type-3 fun you aren't cured, then by definition you didn't really up the fun to type-3, so go back and turn the "treatment" up a few clicks.
This may work, but the root cause is that my memory is SO BAD. Like, was that trip really all that terrible? Maybe not...

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
– Mark Twight.