Type-2 fun stories

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Type-2 fun stories

Post by OldTrad »

Not having done any winter climbing to speak of I don't have any stories that would compare, but thought it might be fun sharing personal stories where type-2 fun was had... all subjective of course.

A couple that jump to my mind
- during an Outward-Bound-like course in the High Sierras, my "final" consisted of going solo three days without food, tent, sleeping bag, or matches, and then spending the next two days walking 50 miles with 4 or 5 others to get to our exit point. It was pouring rain almost that entire 5-day stretch. I was 16 and a bit tougher/more resilient than I am now.

- while approaching a climb in Yosemite my partner and I got "off route" and wound up having to tunnel about 30 ft through a huge, healthy hedge of poison ivy before we finally emerged in a clearing.

:wft:
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Type-2 fun stories

Post by Conor »

If by "type 2" you mean degree of sufferring....

This year on the kautz i lost the check valve in my stove's pump. We still carried over after bumming a stove and melting some water, but no "hot" food. Thankfully the ranger at muir camp was super cool and since we didnt do the standard fare, he hooked us up with some water. Needless to say, we hiked out that day and didn't stay another night on the mountain. More thirsty roasting on mountain while carrying over than hungry.

When i was 15 my boy scout trip got "extended" in southern utah and we spent over 48 hours without food in death hallow. The time started after we "drank" the rest of the parkay butter. More hungry than thirsty as the trail has an abundance of water.

I think a "technical" mohling has been my single hardest 24 hours in the mountains. I know peeps run the loop and are home for their kid's afternoon soccer game, but that was sort of my first longish day in the mountains and we carried the technical gear to climb lone eagle. my kids don't play soccer, so i wasn't in a "rush."
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

bullshit.jpg
bullshit.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 11076 times
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Conor wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:53 pm If by "type 2" you mean degree of sufferring....
In case others aren't 100% familiar with the fun scale - these are hilarious descriptions
* https://www.tetongravity.com/story/cult ... -explained
* http://goeast.ems.com/three-types-of-fun/
* https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/fun-scale
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Long's duathlon would probably be #1 for me so far. I heard about it on top of Green Mountain one day from an ultra guy. I thought it sounded like fun! I trained for a few years doing the Mt. Audobon duathlon and attempting to go for Long's. Last year I made 2 attempts and my 2nd I made it! Even at the Boulder field I was thinking about turning back and why I was doing such a crazy thing. By the time I made it back to Lyons for ice cream at the dairy bar I knew I was hooked! I'll be doing it again to try to shave a couple hours off. I had worked an 8 hour shift, packed and left at 11pm and got back to Boulder at 7pm the next day! One of the best days of my life!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Pretty much any hike I did this year that had long stretches that had been decimated by March's avalanche cycle were Type 2 fun. The worst was the hike out of Lime Creek after repeating the Avalanche/Hammer ridge. Multiple new slide paths with a lot of downed timber. Words can't describe how awful the hike out was. The branches were all tangled, everything was spongy. Sometimes we would posthole through the branches. Over some of the trunks, under others. I still have a scar on the back of my hand that is over an inch long from one of the branches.

The sun set before we got out:
Where Chicago Transplant?
Where Chicago Transplant?
IMG958030.jpg (251.29 KiB) Viewed 10689 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

My latest one that qualifies was "running" the Pawnee-Buchanan Pass Loop in early July this year. Somehow I thought the epic spring snow would be melted out. Nope. Took almost 12 hours and I was wallowing through thigh-deep snow most of the last 9 miles.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

jerseybrian wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm Long's duathlon would probably be #1 for me so far. I heard about it on top of Green Mountain one day from an ultra guy. I thought it sounded like fun! I trained for a few years doing the Mt. Audobon duathlon and attempting to go for Long's. Last year I made 2 attempts and my 2nd I made it! Even at the Boulder field I was thinking about turning back and why I was doing such a crazy thing. By the time I made it back to Lyons for ice cream at the dairy bar I knew I was hooked! I'll be doing it again to try to shave a couple hours off. I had worked an 8 hour shift, packed and left at 11pm and got back to Boulder at 7pm the next day! One of the best days of my life!
NICE WORK!
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

I don't know if Lordhelmut cries, but if he does, this is probably what it looks like. Plenty of F-words that day, and I'm pretty sure "fun" was not one of them. This was on some peak in the IPW.
Attachments
IPW.jpg
IPW.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:20 am Words can't describe how awful the hike out was.
...and yet we can (and in my opinion should) still try. Why? Because my sense of humor is that twisted.

a couple of go-to descriptive favorites of mine are
“treatment”
and
“character building”

Btw - absolutely love that photo. What a freaking nightmare!
Last edited by OldTrad on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Ridge runner wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:05 pm I don't know if Lordhelmut cries, but if he does, this is probably what it looks like. Plenty of F-words that day, and I'm pretty sure "fun" was not one of them. This was on some peak in the IPW.
Did anyone quite climbing after that adventure? Photo looks like it could have been borderline Type-3.

Good grief
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

OldTrad wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:20 am Words can't describe how awful the hike out was.
...and yet we can (and my opinion should) still try. Why? Because my sense of humor is that twisted.

a couple of go-to descriptive favorites of mine are
“treatment”
and
“character building”

Btw - absolutely love that photo. What a freaking nightmare!
Thanks! That photo captures it well. I think what made it so bad is that we did a loop hike, so we left the trail in the morning well below any of this mess and had no idea what we were in store for. Then it just was one slide after another for miles. Every time you went back into intact forest you thought it was over just to be spit out into another mess. You could see across the sea of crossed timbers but no path was cut, nothing flagged. And no clue where the actual trail was on the other side, so often the forest sections were still a bushwhack. Just a mess.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day