Type-2 fun stories

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Type-2 fun stories

Post by OldTrad »

justiner wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 pm
OldTrad wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Agreed that there's no cure specific to type-2 addiction, however my understanding is that a more drastic "scorched earth" approach can be taken.

All you have to do is increase the "fun"/"treatment" level to type-3 (see definition). This is as effective as anything short of a lobotomy, although those who know me may disagree, and will result in a complete cure for type-2 and type-3 mountain activities.

If, after engaging in type-3 fun you aren't cured, then by definition you didn't really up the fun to type-3, so go back and turn the "treatment" up a few clicks.
This may work, but the root cause is that my memory is SO BAD. Like, was that trip really all that terrible? Maybe not...

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
– Mark Twight.
LOL yes, memory is a huge part of the "problem" here, and if you think yours is bad now, wait until you're my age... I still think back on type-2 climbing experiences from 40 years ago and say to myself "you know, those four pitches of extreme offwidth really weren't THAT bad - in fact, I thought it was all pretty easy", when I'd have no prayer on succeeding on anything like that now.

Then, re: Mark Twight... if you think YOUR memory is bad, think how bad HIS memory must have been!! #-o
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

One of my favorite type 2 hikes was a trip up Deseret Peak in Utah. It was late May and the weather forecast called for a chance of snow after 11am. Conditions deteriorated at 7am. My wife hated the hike and thinks I'm crazy. Definitely type 3 to her. She refuses to talk about it. I wrote a trip report about it and questioned the fun throughout. Looking back it is one of my favorite hikes ever.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=16142
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

This trip was a little over 10 years ago in the Ohio River Valley. My wife was 8 months pregnant with our oldest kid. My brother came up from TN with his wife for the baby shower, but he and I planned to do a 1 night trip on a 22 mile loop near the Ohio River. We took my doggo along with us.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/indi ... king-trail

The first 6 miles of the hike were well travelled and maintained. The rest of the hike bounced up and down the river bluffs. We expected a certain level of discomfort since it was July in the Ohio Valley. What we didn’t expect was for a solid three miles of the trail to be wrecked from some earlier storm.

After bushwhacking for a couple hours, the trail clears up and my dog just stops and lays down. She had gone over so many trees and pieces of rough debris that all four of her pads were torn to shreds... bleeding a lot more than I want to admit. She was an 85lb dog and by our map we were at least 4 miles from the nearest road.

We decided to stop for the night and take care of her paws. That next morning she was able to move slowly, and the goal was to make it to a service road and call my dad to come get the dog. We called my dad and told him what time we thought we would meet up. He was less than happy about having to make up a story about where he was going so that we didn’t ruin the baby shower later that day with shitty news.

We waited at the road for three hours, about 90 minutes longer than it should have taken my dad to reach us. Unfortunately the road was in a holler so cell signal sucked. At this point we made the choice to push through the rest of the trail, taking turns coaxing, carrying and pushing the dog.

By the time we got back in cell range, my pissed off father told me that the service road gate was locked, so he couldn’t drive to us. My dog had to be treated for an infection, and my vet put the fear of God unto me about the need for doggo hiking shoes. Luckily my wife didn’t go into premature labor, but always uses this story to remind me to be prepared on the trail.

Icing on the type 2 fun cake: we counted over 100+ ticks that attempted to snack on us and the dog (a dozen or so we had to pull out.)