Intrepid Iowa Man in the Bells

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Intrepid Iowa Man in the Bells

Post by OldTrad »

Now I can't remember the details, but this reminds me of that guy who got "off route" on Longs and ended up ascending the east face (was it Kieners?) with no technical experience, gear, etc. Hoping someone here remembers the name of that thread.
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

OldTrad wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:25 am Now I can't remember the details, but this reminds me of that guy who got "off route" on Longs and ended up ascending the east face (was it Kieners?) with no technical experience, gear, etc. Hoping someone here remembers the name of that thread.
Or that kid who descended Keiners' from the summit and got himself stuck on Broadway a few years ago ... in jeans and tennis shoes.

When the SAR guys in the chopper pointed him to go right (towards the Loft Couloir), he just hopped right around the choke point, and sprinted down Lambs Slide for a walk-in-the-park self-rescue. Absolutely insane.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

FCSquid wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 am
OldTrad wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:25 am Now I can't remember the details, but this reminds me of that guy who got "off route" on Longs and ended up ascending the east face (was it Kieners?) with no technical experience, gear, etc. Hoping someone here remembers the name of that thread.
Or that kid who descended Keiners' from the summit and got himself stuck on Broadway a few years ago ... in jeans and tennis shoes.

When the SAR guys in the chopper pointed him to go right (towards the Loft Couloir), he just hopped right around the choke point, and sprinted down Lambs Slide for a walk-in-the-park self-rescue. Absolutely insane.
Right! That was the story I was thinking of - would love to re-read that if anyone can help locate it -
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Here's the report from RMNP: https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/pr_ ... l_park.htm

The one detail I remember was that one of the rescuers on the chopper was pointing to Frappier's right. He took that as an indication that this was the direction he needed to go and just cruised right across Broadway and down Lambs Slide.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

FCSquid wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am Here's the report from RMNP: https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/pr_ ... l_park.htm

The one detail I remember was that one of the rescuers on the chopper was pointing to Frappier's right. He took that as an indication that this was the direction he needed to go and just cruised right across Broadway and down Lambs Slide.
Hahahahahaha awesome.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Squid: thanks for that link, incredible.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=Frappier

I invoked his hallowed name earlier in this thread but I guess I was trying to be too cute about it. I do think we should make his name into a verb, like “did you hear the story about the guy from Iowa who Frappiered the Bells.”
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer