Intrepid Iowa Man in the Bells

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Intrepid Iowa Man in the Bells

Post by Marmot72 »

Benners related this tale to me after he made his final trip to the Conundrum Basin to make a sweep from Castleabra to Triangle, as he closed out the bicentennials this fall. I've made plenty a blunder, but this stranger's tale to Ben presents a rare combination of inexperience, grit and...I don't know what.

After the Conundrum approach, the day spent on the exciting rock that this region is known for, and a well-earned soak in the hot spring which Ben again lucked upon to have entirely to himself, Ben encountered this individual near the parking lot on his return.

The man related that it was his first time to Colorado, and he was excited to see the Maroon Bells. He flew into Aspen and didn't bother to rent a car. He then took the shuttle to the Maroon lot, and began his intended "four pass" backpacking trip. He followed the trail up Maroon Peak. Yeah, just kept plugging up as it got steeper, summiting South Maroon while carrying a full backpacker's kit. Once at the top, where else to go? Traversed to North Maroon with the same load. Descended North Maroon, but then headed west over Buckskin Pass into Fravert and next headed south. Kept on going until he ended up in Crested Butte.

Upon realizing that mistake, he found transport back to Aspen.

Maybe he was low on funds after all this, because he simply took the bus to a stop where he could begin walking up the Conundrum road and packed into the spring. Ben, realizing he planned to simply return to Aspen on foot, gave him ride down the mountain.

My oh my. I'd like to say that TR - Bells Traverse with 35 Lb Backpacking Kit.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Intrepid Iowa Man in the Bells

Post by Tornadoman »

Marmot72 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Wow! I would also love to see a report about this as well. He may need to hone up on his navigational skills before his next trip to Colorado! :shock:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Steve "Intrepid Iowa Man" Cummins,

Looking forward to reading your TR after you own up to this story.

:-D :shock:
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

We have a saying in distance running:
Being fit enough covers a multitude of sins.
In other words, you can have bad form, use poor racing tactics, and/or poor pacing strategy, but if you are fit enough, you might still get away with it and still run fairly fast.
Methinks the same idea applies here.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

After summiting Maroon Peak back in early September of this year, I was surprised to see backpacking gear on the summit that was weighed down with a rock.

Found out later it was Andrew Hamilton and his climbing partner's gear. They had spent the night on the summit and did the traverse both ways in the morning.

Beyond my skill level for sure. Props to the Iowa dude.
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

dillonsarnelli wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 am Steve "Intrepid Iowa Man" Cummins,

Looking forward to reading your TR after you own up to this story.

:-D :shock:
Steve, I didn’t know you were from Iowa. :)
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Tornadoman wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 am
Marmot72 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Wow! I would also love to see a report about this as well. He may need to hone up on his navigational skills before his next trip to Colorado! :shock:
You know, I rather admire the spirit of people who just want to accomplish something out in the mountains without worrying about checking boxes or throwing up trip reports.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

TravelingMatt wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:31 am You know, I rather admire the spirit of people who just want to accomplish something out in the mountains without worrying about checking boxes or throwing up trip reports.
Amen
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Iowa or Idiots Out Wondering Around

(Native Iowegian)
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

The determination is inspiring. A true “Ah, f—it why not” attitude. Love it. :lol:
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Holy Frappier!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Love it, Dillon! Most of my solo mishaps are not near as memorable.

I grew up in Denver, after my parents moved from California - no connection to Iowa.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.