Anyone know anything about old "Get Well" effort for Jerry Garcia? Involving Climbing Mt Holy Cross? 1980s?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Anyone know anything about old "Get Well" effort for Jerry Garcia? Involving Climbing Mt Holy Cross? 1980s?

Post by jibler »

Around the time of Jerry Garcia's passing -I recall the paper doing a timeline of GD events that impacted CO

among them 1979 because the new band Reconstruction had debut show -- in Telluride or Crested Butte or something random?

but another highlight was effort by some fans to climb Holy Cross to send Jerry Garcia a 'get well' message during an illness bout??

any one know more??

Hopefully I can dig up that article from my archives eventually...
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Anyone know anything about old "Get Well" effort for Jerry Garcia? Involving Climbing Mt Holy Cross? 1980s?

Post by rijaca »

Reconstruction’s first show was at the Keystone in Berkeley CA. The only shows I know they played in CO was at the old Rainbow Music Hall on E Evans.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Anyone know anything about old "Get Well" effort for Jerry Garcia? Involving Climbing Mt Holy Cross? 1980s?

Post by jibler »

I swear that's what article said - not seeing anything to back that up

could be he didn't have his facts straight?

now i gotta find that thing

or maybe he was referencing that denver rainbow show
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

jibler wrote:I swear that's what article said - not seeing anything to back that up

could be he didn't have his facts straight?

now i gotta find that thing

or maybe he was referencing that denver rainbow show
From
Jerry.png
Jerry.png (81.59 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
"Reconstruction stayed together for only nine months, and except for three shows in Denver in April 1979, they never left the Bay Area."

A little digging and I think the shows were on April 11-13, 1979 at the Rainbow.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I forgot to look around for that clipping last night

but but the core mystery remains - details on the effort by the fans to climb Holy Cross for Jer!

I have contemplated a similar Phish oriented hike - in the Wilson Group obviously - but would need different cause/motivation as they're doing good
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I think you're getting your stories mixed up.

Jerry had his diabetic coma episode in July 1986. The Grateful Dead played Red Rocks in 1985 and 1987. They also played Telluride in 1987...
GD in Telluride.png
GD in Telluride.png (95.62 KiB) Viewed 7474 times
Don't know anything about a climb 'to send Jerry a get well message'.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

rijaca wrote:I think you're getting your stories mixed up.

Jerry had his diabetic coma episode in July 1986. The Grateful Dead played Red Rocks in 1985 and 1987. They also played Telluride in 1987...
GD in Telluride.png

Don't know anything about a climb 'to send Jerry a get well message'.
there are two distinct entries in this newspaper timeline

one listed a 1979 event re: reconstruction

the other was a 1980's hike for jerry's health - but it could be as late as early 90s too. I haven't actually laid eyes on this thing in like a decade.

I will hopefully pull the document this weekend
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

jibler wrote:Around the time of Jerry Garcia's passing -I recall the paper doing a timeline of GD events that impacted CO.
https://cmhof.org/seven-things-to-know- ... -colorado/

The first Grateful Dead RR show was 7/7/78. My first GD show was 7/8/78.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

rijaca wrote:
jibler wrote:Around the time of Jerry Garcia's passing -I recall the paper doing a timeline of GD events that impacted CO.
https://cmhof.org/seven-things-to-know- ... -colorado/

The first Grateful Dead RR show was 7/7/78. My first GD show was 7/8/78.

this thing went way further than that - like the family dog shows from 1970 etc etc

but i forgot to look for it! now i gotta find it-

it was either rocky mtn news or the post - but i wonder if they have searchable online archives?
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

This thread reads like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John getting together years later to hash out, "And then he did what? Where did he go next?"
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

jibler wrote: this thing went way further than that - like the family dog shows from 1970 etc etc

but i forgot to look for it! now i gotta find it-

it was either rocky mtn news or the post - but i wonder if they have searchable online archives?
jibler, did you even look at the article I referenced?

The concert history of the GD is well documented, including dates/locations/setlists. You could probably find a tape of virtually every show.

Some clueless RM News or Denver Post writer (with all due respect to Oman) probably interviewed some stoned Deadhead at a show who happened to have a pipe dream (pun intended) about climbing Mt Holy Cross to support Jerry.

I had a letter to the editor of the RM News comparing Deadheads to Broncos fans published after one of those articles was written during the 1985 Red Rocks shows.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

rijaca wrote:
jibler wrote: t .
Yes I saw that link when I was looking around for stuff related to this.

This is a carefully plotted out timeline published within days of Jerry passing. I give the newspaper guys more credit than you do Iguess