Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Re: Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Altitude High wrote:
brichardsson wrote:two half naked dudes having sex on a summit. if it would have been a guy and a girl it would have been just as uncool.
I disagree totally. If it had been a straight couple, it would have been totally cool (if the girl was attractive :)).

And I would have tactfully waited a few feet below the top for them to finish up and get dressed.
I don’t care who it is or how good-looking they are, I do not need to see anyone’s backside getting chapped by wind gusts. Then again, I’m so asexual that I have to fast-forward through kissing scenes in movies and TV shows lest I lose my lunch.

As for finds, I did not come up with this one myself, but I hiked down Whitney with a guy who was carrying a bag of someone else’s poop. The bag was just lying there on the summit, my descent buddy said. I don’t know what flabbergasts me more: that someone would just leave it out for the Summit Poop Fairy to collect, or that they had enough privacy on Whitney’s summit to fill that bag in the first place.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jibler strikes again!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote:Then again, I’m so asexual that I have to fast-forward through kissing scenes in movies and TV shows lest I lose my lunch.
Glad I'm not the only one.
As for finds, I did not come up with this one myself, but I hiked down Whitney with a guy who was carrying a bag of someone else’s poop.
Haha, welcome to the Whitney Zone! This is what happens when you ask people to carry bags of poop where there aren't enough people around to exert constant peer pressure. Next time you visit the Flatirons, notice the free dog poop bag dispensers at the trailheads, and how many of those bags end up full by the side of the trail.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Dead cow on the trail to West Elk Peak:
un_201307060953088_l.jpg
un_201307060953088_l.jpg (666.14 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
The live bear guarding the carcass was pretty uncool too...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I can't find the pic, but...
We saw some hunters prowling around Mt. Guyot near Georgia Pass at the beginning of our Fall hike a few years back.
"What's in season?" The answer: "Mountain goats."
On the way down, we can across a dressed carcass, skinned and pink. IDK where the hunters went. Maybe they came back.
OTOH,
On a trip to Glacier, my friend and I went to do a quick jaunt around Swiftcurrent Lake. We met a wide-eyed guy at the TH. "Don't go back there. There are three grizzlies about half a mile down." We mulled it over and took our sweet time, figuring any bears would move on by the time we got half a mile in. We started about 20 min later.
Wrong. About a tenth of a mile in, all three bears were hunched over something (Goldilocks?) in the middle of the trail, maybe 200 yards further. One got down on all fours and started coming our way. I've never run so fast in my life, but it was only about 500ft to the car. We could not see or hear anything coming behind us once we got there. Whew.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

seano wrote:
HikesInGeologicTime wrote:Then again, I’m so asexual that I have to fast-forward through kissing scenes in movies and TV shows lest I lose my lunch.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Apparently we make up roughly 1% of the population, though the report I read on that came out in the early 2000s, when I was still in high school...which means it came out waaaaay longer ago than I care to think about! :X
Haha, welcome to the Whitney Zone! This is what happens when you ask people to carry bags of poop where there aren't enough people around to exert constant peer pressure.
I'm still trying to figure out when he must've summited in order to not have that peer pressure - you'd be forgiven for thinking you had teleported to the top of Bierstadt or Quandary on a sunny summer day for all the people milling about when I got up there.
Next time you visit the Flatirons, notice the free dog poop bag dispensers at the trailheads, and how many of those bags end up full by the side of the trail.
Haven't done much hiking in the Flatirons, but decorating the trail with full doggie bags seems to be pretty popular most places outside of the National Parks here. :/
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

1. Carcass of a whale on the beach near Cape Alava, WA.
2. Walking into unmarked, unguarded artillery testing range and watching first morning salvo land about a klick away.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Did you find bombing in Vieques before the moretoriem? Well, wherever, that is the winner so far.

Whales? that is funny, to mention in the same post. Dead bodies? I have found 3, that I can remember. People pissing, shitting and fuc***g? come on. Up your game 14ers.com.

And for best thing?

I was hiking around Mt Whitney way back in the day and a crow followed me and dropped a pair of gloves on the trail about 10 minutes ahead from where I was and this, when I was quite green and under prepared and real appreciated gloves. Of course, it was not a real pair, but two left handed gloves, an inner and outer layer, worn and threadbear, lost by someone much more experienced and prepared than me.

But come on, A crow (or perhaps a raven) followed me, watched my need and provided for me. That was pretty cool.
Attachments
Whale
Whale
whale.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

Took a quick afternoon trip up Longs this past summer, someone lost their bowels and left the underwear in the middle of the trail at the bottom of the trough...I puked...
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

good work folks

I thought this thread was destined for closure

only mildly gross by and large
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
RestlessLegSyndrome
14ers: 56 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RestlessLegSyndrome »

Sorry to add to the grossness, but the Red Gully on Crestone Peak will never have the same meaning for me after packing out someone's used feminine hygiene product.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Uncoolest Find While Web Surfing

Post by rijaca »

This thread.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"