Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Post by jibler »

this may end up being a NSFW thread? But hopefully not overly gross or anything....keep it classy people!

I was checking out some of the cliffs off 285 near Lover's Leap like 20 yrs ago. We had been going to Lover's Leap for a while by then but never to the cliffs further east - on north side of Mt Lindo

I think that CDOT decided no one would ever climb down that embankment because there was a freaky ass graveyard of abandoned deer roadkill down there! At least 30-40 deer if not more.

various states of decomposition.

by the time we realized what was going on we were already at bottom of the gulch anyway -- so we just kept pushing up the hill to hit those cliffs.

___

actually had an argument with a friend up there that day - it proved to be a pivot point in our friendship -- for the worse!

those cliffs would forever be known as the "Death Cliffs" - both because of the deer and the argument.

never been back - yet it wasn't bad up there either - not as cool as lover's leap but still kinda cool
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Post by peter303 »

Fresh dead human.
Mountain biker hit bridge railing.
Prone on ground with large pool of blood near head.
Other hikers sent for help.
All we could do was say a prayer.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The outhouse on Mt Elbrus. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in the mountains.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

"Poop cairns" in the Alps: a stack of poop, then toilet paper, then a rock on top to hold it all in place. They're shockingly common. Why, people?!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

On a nice summer day in the Schwarzwald, I took a spur trail out to an overlook, thinking it would be a nice place to lounge for a awhile... A woman in her 60s already had that thought, and had liberated herself from her clothing.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Got to the top of great sand dune, some guy is talking about work problems on his cell. Couldn't really enjoy it.

But it inspired me to take off down the ridge to more unexplored terrain. Maybe worked out. Got back a little late, though. But it was nice out I think.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I'm just going to give the advice that if you really need to take a piss, and really really want to piss on a summit cairn, make sure no one is around - some of us can move pretty fast on this terrain, and the sight of your junk isn't the reward we're looking for at the top.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

in Badlands, I saw a bunch of empty Gatorade bottles that were tossed all over and around the trail by some large youth group (that was led by adults).
justiner wrote:I'm just going to give the advice that if you really need to take a piss, and really really want to piss on a summit cairn, make sure no one is around - some of us can move pretty fast on this terrain, and the sight of your junk isn't the reward we're looking for at the top.
I was told that if someone is watching you pee, you're not the one with the problem
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

cougar wrote:I was told that if someone is watching you pee, you're not the one with the problem
Who was watching? I was ambushed.

I had to wonder if this is what this guy does for every peak he summits.

Maybe he'll put out a coffee table book, I hear those are popular.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

A dead horse partially eaten by a mountain lion (I think).
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

cougar wrote: I was told that if someone is watching you pee, you're not the one with the problem
I was hiking and came upon a popular trail junction where a man unzipped his trousers and started peeing as I was walking towards him (probably 20 feet away). There wasn't anywhere to hide, so I started making noise but it still took him a while to notice me. When he did he was embarrassed and turned to hide, and ended up peeing on his female companion who was standing very nearby. In this situation she was the one with the problem. In retrospect, I've come across dozens of men peeing right alongside the trail, but never a woman. Just saying.
It's a mountain: get over it.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

Dead people, and bags of dog crap.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!