Jim DiNapoli's Trip Reports (Dancesatmoonrise)

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Jim DiNapoli's Trip Reports (Dancesatmoonrise)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Recently it was brought to my attention that photo links were broken in Jim's trip reports. This happened a while back when I made some changes to the site that didn't take into account how Jim and a few others were referencing photos within their own reports. I was able to fix the reports and I'm happy to say they are all back!

Jim spent a lot of time contributing these great reports and I hope they are enjoyed for many years to come...

Dancesatmoonrise Trip Reports (68)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Jim DiNapoli's Trip Reports (Dancesatmoonrise)

Post by oldschool »

Thank you Bill. Jim was a dear friend of mine and we had some great outings. I appreciate you taking the time to put the links back together.

There is much to be learned from people like Jim and Steve and many others that no longer are able to contribute to this forum and TR's.

Jim and Steve are thought of often.....
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks Bill
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Much appreciated, Bill. Always loved his reports.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Great to see! Thanks.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Thank you Bill, and thanks Jim. Those reports and photos are fantastic, and add enormously to what is already a wealth of information and help on this site. Much appreciated.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I have never read any of Dancesatmoonrise's trip reports, but from what I hear they are legendary.
I remember when he died, and the outpouring of emotion on this website for him and his family showed that he was a great man.
I am glad that the TR's are available for us to access later.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Thanks Bill!

Danceswithmoonrise always had some of the most interesting and detailed winter trip reports and I remember reading a few of them in prep for my own winter 14er attempts. It's good to see that Jim's memory lives on...

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Glad to see this, his reports are something else. I feel very lucky to have shared some quality time in the mountain with Jim.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

My thanks as well, Bill. I sure do miss Jim...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Bill,
This is awesome! Thanks for figuring all this out and getting Jim's TR's back together again. I am looking forward to reading through some of them this winter. You rock!

Jim took me under his wing and taught me to rock climb. And I took him out for his first snow climb and we did the steep route between Snowmass and North Snowmass. We actually became pretty good friends.

Here was the tribute video I made of him to show his many talents if anybody would like to watch it:

glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

I read his Capitol trail report and all of the comments today. Based on that, I'll be reading his other 67 reports. Thanks Bill!
Aim high to end high