Marmot Head Found on Mount Shavano

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Marmot Head Found on Mount Shavano

Post by Above_Treeline »

Disgusted by the people that think killing marmots is ok. Really enjoyed seeing marmots at altitude.

People kill everything.

And no, it's not the greatest comparison, comparing natural predation with human slaughter. For one thing, I've heard only 10% of red tails make it to adulthood.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Above_Treeline wrote:Disgusted by the people that think killing marmots is ok. Really enjoyed seeing marmots at altitude.

People kill everything.

And no, it's not the greatest comparison, comparing natural predation with human slaughter. For one thing, I've heard only 10% of red tails make it to adulthood.
People hunt them because it is okay. There’s a season for them because there’s a s**t ton of them and even if everyone who bought a small game license filled their limit there would still be a s**t ton of them. People hunt things, and they eat them, because that’s normal. Think about that next time you take a bite of a cheeseburger. Killing your own food is far less disgusting than what went into creating you favorite hamburger and beer from your favorite mountain town restaurant post-hike.

Hunting is probably the single most regulated recreational activity in the country. There are plenty of marmots, if there weren’t plenty there would be no controlled season for them. It’s been this way for a long time. You’ll still get to look at your marmots at altitude.

I’m gonna go kill some in a couple weeks, and I’m gonna fry em up like chikin and enjoy them with some trout from a stream. There’s a lot to experience and learn by doing stuff like that.

#eatmorchikin
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I've seen a coyote eat a rabbit, and have come across a couple of other rabbit and raccoon scraps from coyotes. They leave the stomach, intestines, and head perfectly intact. First time I saw the scraps I thought it was some sort of weird cult ritual or something, until I witnessed the coyote in the act.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

I never knew marmot hunting was a thing. Sounds interesting, and fairly accessible. I may have to try this now. Marmot hat? (Eat what you kill, too, of course.)
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

Above_Treeline wrote:Why on earth would anyone kill a marmot?

I can't imagine they're good eating.

Disgusting
My brother took me to a Hunter's Pot Luck at one of the local churches several years back. Many people brought a game dish, everyone paid $7 or something to get in, the money went to one of the church's charities. While standing in line, my brother and his friends were all talking about a raccoon stew they had the previous year and how good it was. I wasn't sure if they were pulling my leg or not. When we got in, it was kind of like people running for the Christmas bargains at the mall--everyone in that place was looking for the raccoon stew. I don't know if it encouraged many folks to take up raccoon hunting, but the prepared dish was that good!
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

tastes more like pork and they make good fajitas.
XPLSV wrote:My brother took me to a Hunter's Pot Luck at one of the local churches several years back. Many people brought a game dish, everyone paid $7 or something to get in, the money went to one of the church's charities. While standing in line, my brother and his friends were all talking about a raccoon stew they had the previous year and how good it was. I wasn't sure if they were pulling my leg or not. When we got in, it was kind of like people running for the Christmas bargains at the mall--everyone in that place was looking for the raccoon stew. I don't know if it encouraged many folks to take up raccoon hunting, but the prepared dish was that good!
http://pccocwv.com/wv-roadkill-cook-off

It may have been a bounty hunter, but they'd want to keep the nose to collect the bounty:
https://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/22/us/n ... hucks.html

Perhaps the head is destined for another purpose. This bone cairn on a makeshift altar marks the start of Lookout Mountains southeast ridge route:
DSC07376.JPG
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

My wife and I drove up to the Blue Lakes dam above Breckenridge for some goat-watching and saw a fox nab a marmot and carry it off in its mouth. The fox disappeared into the brush so I can't say if it decapitated the marmot.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

OP says: "Let me clarify...." (starts describing the situation as not actually terrible)

We say: "YOU STAY OUT OF THIS."
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

LURE wrote:
Above_Treeline wrote:Disgusted by the people that think killing marmots is ok. Really enjoyed seeing marmots at altitude.

People kill everything.

People hunt them because it is okay. There’s a season for them because there’s a s**t ton of them and even if everyone who bought a small game license filled their limit there would still be a s**t ton of them. People hunt things, and they eat them, because that’s normal. Think about that next time you take a bite of a cheeseburger. Killing your own food is far less disgusting than what went into creating you favorite hamburger and beer from your favorite mountain town restaurant post-hike.

Hunting is probably the single most regulated recreational activity in the country. There are plenty of marmots, if there weren’t plenty there would be no controlled season for them. It’s been this way for a long time. You’ll still get to look at your marmots at altitude.

I’m gonna go kill some in a couple weeks, and I’m gonna fry em up like chikin and enjoy them with some trout from a stream. There’s a lot to experience and learn by doing stuff like that.

#eatmorchikin
I really enjoyed seeing the marmots at altitude. You kind of know you're getting somewhere once you see a marmot, they tend to be high up.

I should have known people would show up and slaughter them. Really kind of sick.

What happened to the buffalo again? Seen many passenger pigeons? But people like to slaughter things.

Used to own a 44 mag, hard to look at that caliber the same after reading about Elmer Keith.

I am a vegetarian. Which is apparently fairly popular amongst extreme athletes. There are 7 billion+ people on the planet, and no population controls. You can't get as much food out of a pound of beef as the 6-7 lbs. of grain it takes to make it. You do the math. We're all going to have to be vegetarians.

Chicken houses, wow, those can't be right, if they really keep the chickens like I've heard.
Last edited by Above_Treeline on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

XPLSV wrote:

I can't imagine they're good eating.

Disgusting
My brother took me to a Hunter's Pot Luck at one of the local churches several years back. Many people brought a game dish, everyone paid $7 or something to get in, the money went to one of the church's charities. While standing in line, my brother and his friends were all talking about a raccoon stew they had the previous year and how good it was. I wasn't sure if they were pulling my leg or not. When we got in, it was kind of like people running for the Christmas bargains at the mall--everyone in that place was looking for the raccoon stew. I don't know if it encouraged many folks to take up raccoon hunting, but the prepared dish was that good!
As a whole, religious people are known to be less concerned about the environment. One of the many reasons I haven't been much lately. So this doesn't surprise me.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Above_Treeline wrote:I really enjoyed seeing the marmots at altitude. You kind of know you're getting somewhere once you see a marmot, they tend to be high up.

I should have known people would show up and slaughter them. Really kind of sick.

What happened to the buffalo again? Seen many passenger pigeons? But people like to slaughter things.

Used to own a 44 mag, hard to look at that caliber the same after reading about Elmer Keith.

I am a vegetarian. Which is apparently fairly popular amongst extreme athletes. There are 7 billion+ people on the planet, and no population controls. You can't get as much food out of a pound of beef as the 6-7 lbs. of grain it takes to make it. You do the math. We're all going to have to be vegetarians.

Chicken houses, wow, those can't be right, if they really keep the chickens like I've heard.
Wow, I forget how many people function daily without exercising critical thinking.

The buffalo and passenger pigeon are both prime examples of UNREGULATED market hunting. But we don't need to rehash that debate from last year. Don't be so dull.

I wouldn't be so against vegetarians, or vegans, if they didn't all think everybody has to be like them. Guess I'm not a badass extreme athlete like you. Good grief, man.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

There are LOTS of animals (besides humans) that might kill a marmot. Coyote, fox, weasel, wolverine, badger, mountain lion, bear, hawk, eagle, owl come first to mind. I'm sure there are others. And yes, any of those would likely not eat the head. So for all the folks who are assuming that a human did this--calm your roll because you don't know that.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach