Mountain Respect

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mountain Respect

Post by XterraRob »

highpilgrim wrote:GET OFF MY DAMN MOUNTAIN, YOU BRUSH POPPING HORNSWAGLER. WE DON'T NEED YOUR ILK AROUND HERE.!!!

If you SCREAM this, while wearing a visible sidearm, the offender will likely move away from you.
Please run for governor.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

XterraRob wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:GET OFF MY DAMN MOUNTAIN, YOU BRUSH POPPING HORNSWAGLER. WE DON'T NEED YOUR ILK AROUND HERE.!!!

If you SCREAM this, while wearing a visible sidearm, the offender will likely move away from you.
Please run for governor.
got my vote
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

XterraRob wrote:Please run for governor.
I'll start a gofundme page: https://.gofundme.com/ShowMEtheMONEY

I actually live in Missouri, but with all the internet technology available, I can probably run Colorado from home.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

highpilgrim wrote:

I actually live in Missouri, but with all the internet technology available, I can probably run Colorado from home.
If you win, please include me on the invitation list to your meeting with the president.
I would LOVE to be there for that.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sean Nunn wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:

If you win, please include me on the invitation list to your meeting with the president.
I would LOVE to be there for that.
Drumpf already got hold of a rumor that HighPilgrim would blow off a meeting, and rescinded his invite.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I think if you're loudly screaming anything while wearing a visible sidearm most people will likely move away from you, probably rather quickly.

Unlike the internet, where if you make incendiary statements online half the people will roll their eyes and ignore you, and the other half will abet the insanity, as the OP so nicely elucidated.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Picking up trash doesn't have to be done with an attitude. I am willing to bet 95% of wrappers etc. you see on the trail were not littered intentionally but fell out of a pocket. I once got hot and tied one of my favorite shirts to my waist. At some point I noticed it was gone. Could have been miles back. I hope one of you nice people picked it up.... you can keep it.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Hershel
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hershel »

Sean Nunn wrote:I understand the concern about environmental destruction but I believe some people on here overplay it. There are a handful of 14ers that are eroded due to abundant traffic. The rest are in pretty good shape (thanks in part to CFI work). And the other 2000 or so mountains in the state of CO (Bartlett and a few others being exceptions) are in nearly pristine condition. So I think overall erosion due to human traffic is not a big issue.

Trash is always a problem, and always will be, but again, honestly, I have never seen what I would call a huge trash problem on any mountain except perhaps at a trailhead or 2. Yes I pick up an occasional wrapper or empty water bottle, but nothing like you see at the edges of roads in the cities and suburbs. I tell all the people that go hiking with me (they are younger than me so hopefully they listen) to leave no trash on any mountain. Education takes care of the problem for most people. A few are willingly ignorant/apathetic; that has always been the case and always will be.
I think in reality the erosion is NEVER underplayed. Fact is if we 'use' the mountains (which we should), then we are eroding them. Period. But trail restoration/maintenance is a key factor, as is education of those who hike. So yes, while those hiking off trail can be extremely frustrating, we should always remember to engage with kindness, empathy, and also giving them the benefit of the doubt (of ignorance). Ignorance can be equally frustrating, but we were all once uneducated. After engaging, they might turn out to be a jerk. This can't be helped. But most likely they're not!

There was a time I was hiking down La Plata near treeline at a steep, mostly dirt section. There are social trails that IMO shouldn't be used, but they're quite worn down and cut out some of the switchbacks. My friend took one to avoid a fellow hiker who was ascending. Literally the only trail he cut all day, about 20 feet. This dude (without hesitation) told my friend that he needed to stay on the trail. There was no greeting and it was quite rude. This was literally all he said. So he arbitrarily decided that my friend was in the wrong and then he had the right to be a total jerk. Nope not okay!

I just hope for others to lead by example and engage in a conversation before lecturing. Also trash is certainly a problem and you should pick it up and pack it out if you see it. We're all people and deserve respect (just like the mountain, except for the people part!).
Every Man Dies, Not Every Man Really Lives -William Wallace