summit stalkers

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: summit stalkers

Post by nyker »

Pretty cool. Wish I snapped more photos of my registers I signed. I actually didn't even realize there was something called a summit register one can sign until many peaks were under my belt. :-(
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Delaware Highpointer...
Attachments
Delaware HP.jpg
Delaware HP.jpg (433.97 KiB) Viewed 12157 times
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

rob runkle wrote:Delaware Highpointer...
Ummm, yeah, the guy above that is somewhat noteworthy also.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Greenhouseguy wrote:Pt. 11270, just outside of the Lost Creek Wilderness boundary:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/download/fi ... w&id=26242
I've come across at least half a dozen Mike Garratt registers over the years. I even had the pleasure of being the 1st to sign in on one he placed maybe a week or a month before. He signs them the same way everytime, iconic signature.
Ragin Cajun
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Garratt'd! Just this past Saturday.
garret.jpg
garret.jpg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 11928 times
2giqs
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

another MG in a jar

[img]
151.JPG
151.JPG (671.67 KiB) Viewed 11894 times
[/img]
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I've cleaned up at least two broken Garratt registers. Glass isn't the best for the more popular peaks (though they weren't popular when he placed them). I've seen some people wrap the jars in duct tape.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
crestone14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

Greenhouseguy wrote:Pt. 11270, just outside of the Lost Creek Wilderness boundary:

What a coincidence and a very small world. I met Don Romano last fall when I was finishing my usual six mile fast walking around Fairmount Cemetery and Don was taking in the late afternoon low angle sunshine, while leaning against a large white granite headstone.

Just last Saturday, same thing... this time I stopped and we ended up chatting and swapping mountain peak stories from many years past. Great conversation and we both hope to get out together for a long, remote hike.

Small world. :wink:
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Don Romano isn't a name that I would recognize, but cool that he's still around enjoying the mountains. There probably aren't a lot of signatures on some of these Mike Garratt summit registers.
crestone14ers wrote:

What a coincidence and a very small world. I met Don Romano last fall when I was finishing my usual six mile fast walking around Fairmount Cemetery and Don was taking in the late afternoon low angle sunshine, while leaning against a large white granite headstone.

Just last Saturday, same thing... this time I stopped and we ended up chatting and swapping mountain peak stories from many years past. Great conversation and we both hope to get out together for a long, remote hike.

Small world. :wink:
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There probably aren't a lot of signatures on some of these Mike Garratt summit registers.
Mike Garratt and Bob Martin places most of the registers in the mountains in my local area. Until Teresa Gergen finished all of the 10ers and Tim worth started climbing a lot of peaks in the area, most of them only had Mike's and/or Bob's signature in them after years or decades.

It's usually the same four names in all of the registers, and only rarely do you find any other than the mentioned four (plus me and the kids of course).

One of the mountains in the Mount Zirkel Wilderness still has a register dating back to the 1930's and only a few people have signed it since then. One we found in South Central Utah hadn't been signed since 1911, with only one person signing the register in 1910 and 1911.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Peak C in the Gores used to have a register dating from August 24, 1962. The cannnister had "Colo Mtn Club 1962" stamped on it, which I scribbled with a pencil on the back of my East Vail topo map. I wish I had written down some of those names, but I do remember some of those climbers were some local mtn biking legends in Vail in the early 90's. Anyone remember Sara Ballyntine? Maybe even Mike Kloser?
Ragin Cajun
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I did a 14er yesterday (Belford) and saw this summit register. That's a wood box.
Rite In Rain books inside.
Has anyone else seen these on the summits this year? Their note states they'll add these to several summits this summer.

SureToStayDry.JPG
SureToStayDry.JPG (790.83 KiB) Viewed 11399 times
P7030015.JPG
P7030015.JPG (808.27 KiB) Viewed 11399 times