Fenn's treasure

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Fenn's treasure

Post by madbuck »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 pm
pfiore1 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm I will also admit, somewhat embarrassingly, that I tried to decipher the clues in the "poem" and thought I had some promising ideas. If it really is true, then he should at the least provide a broad description of the location where it was even if he doesn't provide the exact coordinates.
I'm not embarassed to say I too was intrigued, had an idea where to look, and took my wife and kids out to explore the site.
.... No treasure found, but it was one of the best days out, ever. My kids still talk about it.
A little late, but I thought about a bit as well, and my son and I talked about the "old man's treasure" and he had his own ideas in Yellowstone so we looked around for clues. It was fun, he was genuinely disappointed when the treasure was found. I told him today that the "old man" died.

I do believe it was 'real' because he had the means, it ended up being a stressful endeavour, and alternative explanations would be more bizarre to me.
I would like to know 'where' because I'd like to know if the puzzle was sufficiently (IMHO) 'elegant.' Could I/we have solved it uniquely with enough proper thinking? Or was it a 'cheap' puzzle/riddle that fit many possibilities, in which it was helpful to consider the poem but really you had to start by wandering in the correct area? It's one thing to write a description of something, it's another to consider all alternatives to ensure that the description is unique. It's actually pretty interesting, in a "meta" sort of way, to observe people's differing interpretations and certainty.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

If it was real, I thought the clues pointed to a spot in Railroad Gulch, off Browns Canyon, CO.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:49 am If it was real, I thought the clues pointed to a spot in Railroad Gulch, off Browns Canyon, CO.
Interesting - I spent some time looking very near there. I too wish he would have revealed the solution.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

If yall want an even bigger shitshow, do the candy factory "giveaway"

Pay $50 to get a clue, then hope you find the $5,000 prize. Then win another contest to win a candy factory, which you will then have to pay taxes on.

Oh and the guy running it can gross $2.5 million dollars. But its not for profit :roll:

https://abc7news.com/jelly-belly-golden ... y/6414525/
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:49 am If it was real, I thought the clues pointed to a spot in Railroad Gulch, off Browns Canyon, CO.
That's funny, I thought the same and was going to hike that loop trail this year to try my luck. Oh well...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was thinking around Zapata Falls in the Sangres.

I have my doubts that the treasure was real though.

Supposedly it was found in Wyoming.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Fenn will be buried later this week, in a location to be revealed later through a really long poem full of vague and obscure clues.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 am Fenn will be buried later this week, in a location to be revealed later through a really long poem full of vague and obscure clues.
Holy s**t lol
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Scott P wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:50 am

Once it was 'found' but he wouldn't reveal where I smelled a hoax. At this point we will probably never know.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am
Scott P wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:50 am

Once it was 'found' but he wouldn't reveal where I smelled a hoax. At this point we will probably never know.
The location I've seen described near Dubois, WY in Warm Springs Canyon makes the most sense that I've seen.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 am Fenn will be buried later this week, in a location to be revealed later through a really long poem full of vague and obscure clues.
Sorry to get off topic, but Sacajawea's grave is the same way. We saw it marked on a map once and thought "well that would be great historical place to visit." We spent an hour driving through an "Indian" reservation, all the while feeling like we were intruding (and yes I understand the irony of a "white man" saying that). Finally found the gravestone, again in an "Indian" burial ground and again feeling like we were intruding.

At the bottom of the gravestone it says something to the effect of: "Sacajawea is not actually buried here. She is believed to be buried somewhere in the nearby mountains."
I guess no one ever told Rand-McNally that.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 pm The location I've seen described near Dubois, WY in Warm Springs Canyon makes the most sense that I've seen.
Well, maybe not: https://dalneitzel.com/tag/dubois/
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9