Fenn's treasure

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fenn's treasure

Post by Bale »

A0B11FBF-3DCD-4108-A137-A41DBC3AD2BD.jpeg
A0B11FBF-3DCD-4108-A137-A41DBC3AD2BD.jpeg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 12521 times
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matt_foco »

It was probably buried behind a rest stop next to a @%%$%! pond, that's why he won't reveal the location.
Destroy all summit signs
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

it was found in a fen next to a forest.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Regardless of whether it was real or not, I'm just glad the search is over. There were more fatal incidents associated with the search than the 4+/- that were made public. I will also admit, somewhat embarrassingly, that I tried to decipher the clues in the "poem" and thought I had some promising ideas. If it really is true, then he should at the least provide a broad description of the location where it was even if he doesn't provide the exact coordinates.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

pfiore1 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm Regardless of whether it was real or not, I'm just glad the search is over. There were more fatal incidents associated with the search than the 4+/- that were made public. I will also admit, somewhat embarrassingly, that I tried to decipher the clues in the "poem" and thought I had some promising ideas. If it really is true, then he should at the least provide a broad description of the location where it was even if he doesn't provide the exact coordinates.
Agreed. I'm not embarassed to say I too was intrigued, had an idea where to look, and took my wife and kids out to explore the site. Back in 2018. Hey, if an 80 year old guy could allegedly hide the chest, my family could do the hike. We forded a river (more like a pond at the time), took some great photos and videos. No treasure found, but it was one of the best days out, ever. My kids still talk about it.

But yeah, assuming it wasn't a hoax, at least tell us where it was.

-Tom
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

“My main concern is that Forrest puts closure on this,” he said. “People need to know if they were close.”
This is from the dude that runs Fenn’s treasure blog. I completely disagree. I hope there really was a treasure, I hope the anonymous finder stays that way, and I don’t care if the location is ever disclosed. Also, I’d like to thank the folks who turned Fenn’s fun little game into a lawsuit. These are the people who will sue you for tripping on the sidewalk in front of your house.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

pfiore1 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm Regardless of whether it was real or not, I'm just glad the search is over. There were more fatal incidents associated with the search than the 4+/- that were made public. I will also admit, somewhat embarrassingly, that I tried to decipher the clues in the "poem" and thought I had some promising ideas. If it really is true, then he should at the least provide a broad description of the location where it was even if he doesn't provide the exact coordinates.
i don't agree with blaming him for deaths associated with the search, any more than i'd agree with blaming Bill for deaths associated with this site. doing stuff outside is always going to entail risk. encouraging people to get outside, whether it's to climb 14ers or rock climbing or mountain biking or river rafting, is no different than this treasure search. i think some people are offended by the idea that a monetary reward is the excuse used to encourage people to go outdoors, and so he gets more blame than he deserves. but that's just laying a value judgment on peoples' motivations. there are birders who've taken greater risks just to get a picture of a rare bird, and peakbaggers who take greater risks for the sake of a checklist. everyone's got their own "treasure" they're seeking with their outdoor pursuits, not always of financial value.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 am i don't agree with blaming him for deaths associated with the search
Absolutely, that's not what I was implying though. Everyone makes their own decisions and Fenn has zero responsibility for any of those deaths nor for the searches of some who got lost. That's why none of the lawsuits will likely be successful. The deaths were simply associated with the search, that's why I'm glad it is over. Anyone who hypothetically may have become lost, injured, or killed in the future if the search had continued, is just as likely to have the same fate if he/she were to search for a good fishing hole.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Sadly, it appears, at least to me, this whole thing was a hoax. Since the chest was supposedly found, Fenn stated the finder and the location would not be revealed as requested by the supposed finder, a man from "back east". Then, he recently posted photos of the found treasure, tarnished and muddy. Why would he have been brought the treasure if it were found by someone he has no contact with, as he has stated. It looks more like he simply retrieved a cached box that was allowed to be exposed to the elements. The whole thing smells...
fenns treasure.jpg
fenns treasure.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 11730 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Oh Lord, the movie is coming. I expect at least Redford and Nolte confronting a grizzly on Appalachian trail. :P
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Fenn was treasured by his fans and foes.